Radiative Cooling: Insulated Box & Optical Cable Experiment

• Thread starter itszach
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cooling
In summary: No, it would not decrease the radiation that entered the box. The radiation that enters the box is the same regardless of the size of the surface area.
itszach
I'm hoping I'm in the right forum for this, but here's my question. Optical cable can guide radiation to a point, which is the basic of my thoughts. Say you had an insulated box. On the inside of this box, is a liter of water in the shape of a cube, giving it a surface area of .06m^2. From the Stephan-Boltzman equation, I find that the power lost is around 25 watts at room temperature, and 17 watts at freezing. Averaging the two together(which I know won't give me an exact power loss due to radiation, but considering this is just a thought experiment at the moment, the error is negligible) I get a loss of approximately 21 watts. Ignoring the enthalpy of fusion required to actually turn the water to ice, it would take (4.184joule/gC*1000g*25C(C being degrees Celsius) 104600 joules to bring the water to freezing temperature. With one Watt Second being equal to one Joule, it follows that it would take(104600/21) 4980 seconds for the water to radiate the necessary heat, or about 1.4 hours. If one were to line the inside of the insulated box with bundles of optical cable,spliced the cables into one after they were away from the box some(to minimize the surface area available for radiation to reenter the cable, and feed the cables into an infrared solar cell(or any other apparatus to convert the energy into anything but heat, which would simply return to the box though radiation), would the water in the box freeze in a timely manner, or eventually for that matter? Thanks for any thoughts in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
The one problem I see with your thought experiment is that the other end of the cables will also be radiating energy, as a function of their temperature. So if your math is correct and the other end of the optical cable is kept at 0 degrees kelvin, then the water will radiate away it's thermal energy in the time frame you derived.

The laws of thermodynamics, however, still apply. It is not possible to transfer energy up a thermal gradient in bulk. If the other end of the cables are at the same temperature as the water, then they will radiate the same energy as the water, and the net energy flow rate will be zero.

Since radiation depends on surface area, I assumed that the cables would not radiate inward, is this incorrect?

You are correct there, and at first glance it looks like we have a contradiction. However, the area of the cable ends inside will still be the same as the area of the cable ends outside. Also, I believe if you have an infinite plane radiating energy, the energy per unit time absorbed depends only on the area of the collecting surface, thus I think the area term can be pulled out, and you get kAn(Tin4 - Tout4)

I thought I had considered that when I mentioned splicing the cables together. By having each cable feed into one main cable of the same diameter, you end up with a smaller surface area where the radiation exits the cable. Wouldn't that decrease the radiation that entered the box?

Related to Radiative Cooling: Insulated Box & Optical Cable Experiment

1. What is radiative cooling?

Radiative cooling is the process of releasing thermal energy from an object to its surroundings through the emission of infrared radiation. This can occur when the object's temperature is higher than that of its surroundings.

2. How does an insulated box and optical cable experiment demonstrate radiative cooling?

In this experiment, an insulated box is placed outside overnight and a temperature sensor is inserted into the box. An optical cable is then used to measure the temperature of the surroundings. The temperature inside the box is expected to decrease due to radiative cooling, while the temperature of the surroundings remains constant.

3. What is the purpose of using an insulated box in this experiment?

The insulated box is used to minimize heat exchange between the inside and outside of the box, allowing for a more accurate measurement of radiative cooling. This prevents any external factors, such as wind or temperature fluctuations, from affecting the results.

4. How does the optical cable measure temperature?

The optical cable contains a temperature sensor that measures the infrared radiation emitted by the surrounding objects. This allows for a non-invasive and accurate measurement of temperature without physically touching the object or the surroundings.

5. What are the applications of radiative cooling?

Radiative cooling has various applications, such as in cooling systems for electronic devices, thermal management in buildings, and even in renewable energy technologies. It can also be used to keep food and beverages cool without the use of electricity, making it a sustainable and cost-effective solution.