Radiation to a small object from surroundings

In summary, the Stefan-Boltzmann equation can be used to find the energy balance of a system where a small object at T1 is enclosed in a body at T2. This equation takes into account the objects' surface areas, emissivities, and temperatures to calculate the heat transfer through radiation. However, it is not a differential equation and can only provide the energy balance at a single time, not over longer timescales where the temperature of either object may change.
Dong Aleta
In the energy balance of a system where a small object at T1 enclosed in a body at T2 given by the Stefan-Boltzmann equation

q = A1ε1σT14 - A1α12σT24

shouldn't it be a differential equation since the small body could be absorbing/releasing sufficient net energy from the enclosing body that will change its temperature, thereby changing its rate of heat transfer through radiation? I guess the same could also be said for the enclosing body.

Science news on Phys.org
I assume that the equation is used strictly to find the energy balance at a single time, not to find the energy balance over timescales long enough where the temperature of either object could change.

Drakkith said:
I assume that the equation is used strictly to find the energy balance at a single time, not to find the energy balance over timescales long enough where the temperature of either object could change.
I thought so too, but I had to check. I imagined there to be a differential form of this. But anyway, thanks for the response!

Dong Aleta said:
I thought so too, but I had to check. I imagined there to be a differential form of this. But anyway, thanks for the response!

There may be. I'm not certain to be honest.

Related to Radiation to a small object from surroundings

1. What is radiation and how does it affect small objects?

Radiation is a form of energy that is emitted in the form of waves or particles. When a small object is exposed to radiation from its surroundings, it can absorb this energy, causing its temperature to increase. This process is known as thermal radiation and can have both beneficial and harmful effects on small objects.

2. How does the amount of radiation surrounding a small object affect its temperature?

The amount of radiation surrounding a small object directly affects its temperature. The more radiation present, the higher the object's temperature will be. This is because the object absorbs the energy from the radiation and converts it into heat, raising its temperature. Conversely, if there is less radiation, the object's temperature will decrease.

3. What factors determine the rate of radiation to a small object from its surroundings?

The rate of radiation to a small object from its surroundings is determined by several factors, including the temperature of the object, the temperature of its surroundings, and the type of material the object is made of. Objects with higher temperatures will radiate more energy, while objects with lower temperatures will absorb more energy. Additionally, materials with higher thermal conductivity will transfer energy more quickly, resulting in a faster rate of radiation.

4. How can radiation from the surroundings be controlled to protect small objects?

There are several ways to control radiation from the surroundings to protect small objects. One method is to use reflective materials, such as aluminum foil, to reflect the radiation away from the object. Another option is to use insulating materials, such as Styrofoam, to reduce the transfer of heat through radiation. Additionally, decreasing the temperature of the surroundings can also help to minimize the amount of radiation that the object is exposed to.

5. Is all radiation harmful to small objects?

No, not all radiation is harmful to small objects. In fact, some forms of radiation, such as infrared radiation, can be beneficial for small objects. Infrared radiation can be used for heating, drying, and cooking, among other things. However, prolonged exposure to high levels of radiation, such as ultraviolet radiation, can have damaging effects on small objects and their materials.