Radiation Pressure and Solar Sail

In summary, to calculate how large the area of the sail needs to be to propel the spacecraft away from the Sun, you need to calculate the pressure of radiation leaving the Sun and use it to find the force on the solar sail. This force needs to oppose the gravitational force of the Sun. The formula for this is F = GMm/r^2 = Ut/c, where U is the energy coming from the Sun and c is the speed of light. To find the energy, you can use the luminosity of the Sun, which is the energy per unit time. The distance from the Sun also needs to be taken into account, as it affects the intensity of the radiation.
jmm5872
Consider a spacecraft attached to a sheet of material, a "sail," that absorbs sunlight. Assume that the sail is positioned to face the Sun and that the combined mass of the spacecraft and the sail is m. How large does the area of the sail have to be to propel the spacecraft away from the Sun? m = 1000 kg.

My thoughts on how to figure this out...

Calculate the momentum per unit area per unit time of the radiation leaving the Sun, which seems to me to be the pressure by this relation:

Pressure = Force/Area = momentum/(area*time)

Then find the force that arises from the pressure on the solar sail, and this needs to oppose the gravitational force of the Sun.

I think it is this: F = GMm/r2 = Ut/c
where momentum p = U/c, and it's derivative is F = Ut/c

And U is energy coming from the Sun. This is more of my confusion. I know Luminosity is energy per unit time, I just don't really know how to use all of this to get what I need. I think I am just missing some of the conceptual part that would help me relate everything and simply plug in the given mass.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think of it via the impulse formula F*Δt = change in momentum
For light, E = p*c so p = E/c and F = (E/Δt)/c = Intensity*Area/c.
The question doesn't say what distance from the sun. Earth orbit would be convenient; there the intensity is called the solar constant and it can be looked up in Wikipedia.

1. What is radiation pressure?

Radiation pressure is the force exerted by electromagnetic radiation on an object. It is caused by the transfer of momentum from the photons in the radiation to the object.

2. How does radiation pressure impact solar sails?

Radiation pressure is the primary mechanism for propelling solar sails. The force from the photons in sunlight is transferred to the sail, providing a constant acceleration that can propel the sail through space.

3. What materials are used to make solar sails?

Solar sails are typically made from lightweight, reflective materials such as Mylar or aluminum-coated Kapton. These materials are chosen for their low mass and high reflectivity, which maximize the effect of radiation pressure on the sail.

4. How do solar sails navigate in space?

Solar sails navigate in space by adjusting the angle of the sail relative to the direction of sunlight. By changing the angle, the sail can harness the force of radiation pressure to change its trajectory and maneuver through space.

5. What are the potential applications of solar sails?

Solar sails have the potential to be used for long-distance space travel, as they can continuously accelerate and reach high speeds without the need for traditional rocket propulsion. They could also be used for satellite propulsion and as a means of exploring the outer reaches of our solar system.