Radiation pressure and electromagnetic waves

In summary, the height of the levitating cylinder can be calculated using the equation h = 8P/[c*(pi)*D2*g*(rho)], where P is the laser beam power, D is the diameter of the beam, c is the speed of light, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and rho is the density of the cylinder. This is derived by setting the upward radiation force from the beam equal to the downward gravitational force on the cylinder.
jdismu1

Homework Statement

A laser beam of power P and diameter D is directed upward at one circular face (of diameter d < D) of a perfectly reflecting cylinder. The cylinder is levitated because the upward radiation force matches the downward gravitational force. If the cylinder's density is ρ, what is its height H? State your answer in terms of the given variables, using c and g if needed.

http://edugen.wiley.com/edugen/courses/crs4957/art/qb/qu/c33/q26.jpg

Homework Equations

Intensity = P/A
F = 2IA/c <-- for totally reflecting surface
[tex]\rho[/tex] = m/V
F(gravity) = mg

The Attempt at a Solution

i set the two forces equal to each other because the cylinder is floating.

F(due to beam)=F(gravity)
F(due to beam) = 2IA/c
F(gravity)=mg
F(gravity)=[tex]\pi[/tex]*r^2*h*[tex]\rho[/tex])*g <-substituted density (constant rho) and volume ([tex]\pi[/tex]*r^2*h) for mass

**i think this is where i may be going wrong**
F(due to beam)= 2IA/c = 2P/c <-- substituted in the equation of intensity where I = P/A, power divided by area.

after this i solved for H and got, i also substituted r = d/2 because r was not a variable to use in this problem

2P/([tex]\pi[/tex]*(d/2)^2*h*[tex]\rho[/tex]*g*c) = H

Physics news on Phys.org
Figured it out

first change the equations to eliminate all variables that are not used in the problem.

Fr = 2IAdisk/c <-- area in this equation is only concerned with the area of the disk that is reflecting the beam, not the total area of the beam

intensity was not given as a known value so we have to change it to appropriate variables

I = P/Abeam <-- this is where i was wrong, the area in this equation is with respect to the beam as a whole and is only concerned with the cross sectional area at the bottom of the cylinder

Abeam = (pi)*r2
because r was not given as one of the appropriate variable i had to change it to D
so now we have

Abeam = (pi)*D2/4 <-- (D/2)2 = D2/4

plugging the new value of I into the equation you get

Fr = 8AdiskP/[c*(pi)*D2] <-- bring the 4 up to the top and combine it with 2 to get 8 XD

next for Fg=mg, m is not given as a know value so we have to change it to things that we know

m = V(rho) <-- rho is density here

volume is also not given so we have to change it yet again

V = (pi)*r2*h <-- for convenience ill use (pi)*r2*h = Adisk*h

now we have a value for m that we can use

m = Adisk*h*(rho)

finally Fg = mg
Fg = Adisk*h*(rho)*g

set the two equation equal to each other because forces are balance and the cylinder is floating in air

Fr=Fg

plug in know values for the forces

8AdiskP/[c*(pi)*D2]=Adisk*h*(rho)*g

Areas of the disk cancel and bring everything else except for H over to the other side and the answer is

h = 8P/[c*(pi)*D2*g*(rho)]

Related to Radiation pressure and electromagnetic waves

1. What is radiation pressure?

Radiation pressure is the force exerted by electromagnetic waves on an object. It is caused by the transfer of momentum from the photons of the electromagnetic waves to the object they strike.

2. How is radiation pressure calculated?

Radiation pressure can be calculated using the formula P = I/c, where P is the pressure, I is the intensity of the electromagnetic wave, and c is the speed of light. This formula is based on the fact that momentum (p) is equal to the product of an object's mass (m) and its velocity (v), and the speed of light is the velocity of electromagnetic waves.

3. What are some examples of radiation pressure in everyday life?

One example of radiation pressure is the force exerted by sunlight on the sails of a sailboat. It is also responsible for the formation of comet tails, as the particles in the tail are pushed away from the comet's nucleus by the pressure of sunlight. Additionally, radiation pressure is used in laser cooling techniques to slow down and trap atoms.

4. How does radiation pressure affect the movement of objects in space?

Radiation pressure can cause objects in space to accelerate or change direction. This is particularly important for small, lightweight objects such as dust particles and comets, which can be significantly affected by radiation pressure from the sun and other stars.

5. Can radiation pressure be harmful to humans?

In small amounts, radiation pressure from electromagnetic waves is not harmful to humans. However, exposure to high levels of radiation, such as those found in nuclear reactions or certain medical procedures, can have detrimental effects on human health.