Radiation in space (Thermodynamics)

In summary: The data from the spacecraft has to be a spectral energy density, which would be J - s which, when integrated over the frequencies gives the required units which is J. That's what the problem states: "how much radiation energy is it for 10 minutes?"The fact that the integration time is over 10 minutes and over an area of 5000 cm2 is of no computational consequence.
alivedude

Homework Statement

A space probe carry an instrument that detects radiation in space, the area of the probe is ##5000 \, cm^2## and its collecting data for 10 minutes. The information sent back to Earth is given from this image below, how much radiation energy is it for 10 minutes?

xneskh.jpg

(frequency on the x-axis)

Homework Equations

[/B]
Plancks radiation law? Maybe?

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I have no idea how to approach this problem, the answer is ##10-50 \, MJ## but I have no hints or anything so I'm lost. Been playing around with the dimensions a bit but its pretty much just guessing. Any hints?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, please quote Planck's radiation law. Does its general shape match the graph? If so what values for the unknowns in the equation would make it match the graph exactly?

The y-axis units don't make sense to me. Especially the m-3 factor.

haruspex said:
Yes, please quote Planck's radiation law. Does its general shape match the graph? If so what values for the unknowns in the equation would make it match the graph exactly?

Planck's radiation law:

##u(\nu , T)=\frac{8 \pi h \nu^3}{c^3} \cdot \frac{1}{e^{\frac{h \nu}{kT}}-1}##

I have really no idea to be honest.

rude man said:
The y-axis units don't make sense to me. Especially the m-3 factor.

exactly, clueless

alivedude said:
Planck's radiation law:

##u(\nu , T)=\frac{8 \pi h \nu^3}{c^3} \cdot \frac{1}{e^{\frac{h \nu}{kT}}-1}##

I have really no idea to be honest.
Compare your graph with the family of curves at https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planck's_law. Looks promising to me.
What variables in the general law can you tune to try to match your given curve?

haruspex said:
Compare your graph with the family of curves at https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planck's_law. Looks promising to me.
What variables in the general law can you tune to try to match your given curve?

Im thinking like this:

integrate ##u(\nu) d\nu## and then multiply by the volume given by ##A \cdot c \cdot t ## where A is the arean of the probe, ##c## is the speed of radiation(light) and ##t## is the time (10 mins)

Is this a crazy idea? I think that integrating that #u(\nu)# is beyond the course but maybe i can approx the area under the curve?

alivedude said:
Im thinking like this:

integrate ##u(\nu) d\nu## and then multiply by the volume given by ##A \cdot c \cdot t ## where A is the arean of the probe, ##c## is the speed of radiation(light) and ##t## is the time (10 mins)

Is this a crazy idea? I think that integrating that #u(\nu)# is beyond the course but maybe i can approx the area under the curve?
Yes indeed, you need the area under the curve. But the method I was leading you to is to identify the source temperature that gives rise to the observed spectrum. Armed with that, no approximation is necessary. The integral has an analytic solution (which you can look up at the page I linked to).
However, on closer inspection I'm beginning to suspect there is an error in the question. It seems to me that the frequencies on the given graph should multiples of 1015, not 1014.

If you feel happy just approximating the area by hand, feel free.

haruspex said:
Yes indeed, you need the area under the curve. But the method I was leading you to is to identify the source temperature that gives rise to the observed spectrum. Armed with that, no approximation is necessary. The integral has an analytic solution (which you can look up at the page I linked to).
However, on closer inspection I'm beginning to suspect there is an error in the question. It seems to me that the frequencies on the given graph should multiples of 1015, not 1014.

If you feel happy just approximating the area by hand, feel free.
Im going to check this out, but I think that I understand now. Thanks a lot!

alivedude said:
Im thinking like this:

The data from the spacecraft has to be a spectral energy density, which would be J - s which, when integrated over the frequencies gives the required units which is J. That's what the problem states: "how much radiation energy is it for 10 minutes?"

The fact that the integration time is over 10 minutes and over an area of 5000 cm2 is of no computational consequence.
So the units on the given chart, which was represented as the acquired data, should have been J Hz-1 or J-s.

Of course, an on-board computer might have taken area and integration time into account, sending out B which would have the units J m-2 s-1 s = J m-2. Again, though, B ⋅ 5000 cm2 ⋅ 10 minutes integrated over frequency would give J. This B has the same units as in the wikipedia article: "The SI units of are W·sr−1·m−2·Hz−1".
Dimensionally:
W = J s-1
Hz-1 = s
sr is dimensionless (steradians)

rude man said:
The data from the spacecraft has to be a spectral energy density, which would be J - s which, when integrated over the frequencies gives the required units which is J. That's what the problem states: "how much radiation energy is it for 10 minutes?"

The fact that the integration time is over 10 minutes and over an area of 5000 cm2 is of no computational consequence.
So the units on the given chart, which was represented as the acquired data, should have been J Hz-1 or J-s.

Of course, an on-board computer might have taken area and integration time into account, sending out B which would have the units J m-2 s-1 s = J m-2. Again, though, B ⋅ 5000 cm2 ⋅ 10 minutes integrated over frequency would give J. This B has the same units as in the wikipedia article: "The SI units of are W·sr−1·m−2·Hz−1".
Dimensionally:
W = J s-1
Hz-1 = s
sr is dimensionless (steradians)
Yes, I realized later my mistake here, by which time I'd no internet.
The graph given has units for ##B_{\lambda}## on the Y axis, not ##B_{\nu}##. Unless that is a mistake, the area under the curve will not give the right answer. You would need to convert the graph to have the X axis in terms of wavelength first.

Related to Radiation in space (Thermodynamics)

What is radiation in space?

Radiation in space refers to the transfer of energy in the form of electromagnetic waves, such as light and heat, in the vacuum of space. This energy can come from various sources, including stars, planets, and other celestial bodies.

How does radiation affect the temperature in space?

Radiation plays a significant role in regulating the temperature in space. As objects in space absorb and emit radiation, they can either gain or lose heat. This process helps to balance the temperatures of objects in space, ensuring that they do not become too hot or too cold.

What is thermodynamics and how does it relate to radiation in space?

Thermodynamics is the study of the transfer of heat and energy between objects. In the context of radiation in space, thermodynamics helps us understand how energy is transferred through electromagnetic waves and how it affects the temperature of objects in space.

What are the potential dangers of radiation in space for astronauts?

Radiation in space can pose a significant threat to astronauts, as they are exposed to higher levels of radiation outside the Earth's protective atmosphere. Prolonged exposure to radiation can result in health issues such as cancer, damage to the central nervous system, and DNA mutations.

How do scientists measure and monitor radiation in space?

Scientists use various instruments, such as spectrometers and dosimeters, to measure and monitor radiation in space. These instruments can detect and measure different types of radiation, including visible light, infrared radiation, and ultraviolet radiation, and provide valuable data for understanding the dynamics of radiation in space.