Radiation from the surface of a star

In summary, the conversation discusses the theory of radiation and the net flux that an observer would see coming off from a star. The first question asks if each point on the surface of a star radiates in all directions with the same intensity, and the answer is believed to be yes. However, the intensity of radiation would depend on the observer's angular position with respect to the normal vector on the surface of the star. The second question asks if an observer far away from the star would see radiation from the entire star hemisphere, and the answer is again yes. However, the closer the observer gets to the star, the smaller the spherical sector that would contribute to the intensity measured. The conversation also touches on the idea of limb darkening, where
jorgeavg
Hi there,
I´m reading about the theory of radiation and came up with some doubts when I started to calculate the net flux that an observer would "see" coming off from the star. I have provided my answers to my own questions but would like to see what you people think about them.
1. Can it be assumed that each point on the surface of a star radiates in ALL directions with the same intensity and not only radially?
My answer would be "yes", as radiation should propagate in all direccions. However the intensity of radiation that I would see from the different rays coming off the very same point on the star, would depend on my angular position with respect to the normal vector right on the emittter point on the surface of the star.
2. For an observer far away enough from the star, could we say that one entire star hemisphere (surface area 2pi) will contribute to the intensity measured by this far away observer?
I would again answer yes. However, assuming the observer could get close enough without burning, the closer the observer gets to the star, the smaller the spherical sector that would contribute to the intensity the observer would be able to measure. At the limit, if this 2D observer (no height) stands flat on the star, then only the radiation coming off that very same spot would be the only contribution to be measured by the observer. Is this reasoning flawed?
Thanks for your comments and feedback!
Jorge

Astronomy news on Phys.org
jorgeavg said:
1. Can it be assumed that each point on the surface of a star radiates in ALL directions with the same intensity and not only radially?

I believe so.

jorgeavg said:
However the intensity of radiation that I would see from the different rays coming off the very same point on the star, would depend on my angular position with respect to the normal vector right on the emittter point on the surface of the star.

Would it? I'm not familiar enough with the topic to say anything on this.

jorgeavg said:
2. For an observer far away enough from the star, could we say that one entire star hemisphere (surface area 2pi) will contribute to the intensity measured by this far away observer?

You can.

jorgeavg said:
At the limit, if this 2D observer (no height) stands flat on the star, then only the radiation coming off that very same spot would be the only contribution to be measured by the observer. Is this reasoning flawed?

No, I think that's correct.

I have no particular expertise in this area, take this post with a grain of salt. There may be some simplifying assumptions which can be made. If there are I wouldn't be aware of them. The obvious flaw in your last answer is your assumption that the "surface" is a 2 dimensional spherical surface. In reality, it has thickness, as well as opacity - or should I say translucency - where the radiation intensity varies with height as well as temperature and density. At 'sufficient' distance, this thickness is negligible, but not close up. Look at it this way, assuming you're superman you lay on your back looking up away from the Sun and fall into it. As you fall the black of space changes getting foggier and brighter until looking up is just as opaque as looking down. Clearly at this point, the radiation is impinging from all sides. Of course, the question is with this scenario as you fall in, how far is the visiblity? That is, how far away can radiation come straight into your eyes without being absorbed or scattered and this obviously depends on density. Oh, also S.A. of sphere is 4πr² so a hemisphere is 2πr²

Yes, the two points you make are correct in the limit of an infinitely sharp and well-defined surface. In practice, that idealization will have its limitations.

jorgeavg said:
Do you see the sun as single spot, or as some disk (don't look at it without proper protection, however)?
jorgeavg said:
However the intensity of radiation that I would see from the different rays coming off the very same point on the star, would depend on my angular position with respect to the normal vector right on the emittter point on the surface of the star.
It does, but not for the reason you probably expect. If the surface would be a well-defined two-dimensional thing, the surface of the sun would have the same brightness as seen from all directions. In reality it does not, and if you look towards the center you look deeper into the sun (literally), so you see hotter regions. If you look from the side, you only see the colder outer regions. The result is called limb darkening.

Likes AgentSmith
ogg said:
As you fall the black of space changes getting foggier and brighter until looking up is just as opaque as looking down. Clearly at this point, the radiation is impinging from all sides.
Interesting experiment. I would think the point where the impinging radiation from all sides is the same would have to be at the center of the star. At that point, and assuming the radiation flux is isotropic, the net flux should be zero, and this would happen if radiation coming in one direction is canceled out by radiation coming in from another direction diametrally opposed.

ogg said:
Oh, also S.A. of sphere is 4πr² so a hemisphere is 2πr²
I missed r². Thank you for highlighting it.

mfb said:
If you look from the side, you only see the colder outer regions. The result is called limb darkening.

I looked up this limb darkening online and still have plenty reading to do. However, I suppose that the fact the rim is darker should be taken as an indication that the radiation intensity we receive from its points is not the same we receive from, say, the middle point of the solar disk, which has more material "behind" pumping radiation out. I should not look at the start as radiation only from its surface but also consider its interior, which is contributing to the amount of photons leaving the star.
As I said, I still have a lot of thinking to do. Thank you!

Drakkith said:
Would it? I'm not familiar enough with the topic to say anything on this.

I think this point would be related to the limb darkening that mfb mentioned in his reply.
Thanks!

Ken G said:
Yes, the two points you make are correct in the limit of an infinitely sharp and well-defined surface. In practice, that idealization will have its limitations.
I´m finding that now I have to think too much these surface differentials, their implications and limitations. It recall it was easier back in college. Let me go back to think about it. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, "interior". Less than 0.1% of the solar radius.

I merged your posts. You can edit your posts if you want to add things, or directly include multiple quotes in a single post.

Related to Radiation from the surface of a star

1. How is radiation produced on the surface of a star?

Radiation on the surface of a star is produced through a process called nuclear fusion. This is when hydrogen atoms fuse together to form helium, releasing a tremendous amount of energy in the form of radiation.

2. What types of radiation are emitted from the surface of a star?

The types of radiation emitted from the surface of a star include visible light, ultraviolet light, and infrared radiation. These different types of radiation have different wavelengths and energies.

3. How does the amount of radiation emitted from a star vary?

The amount of radiation emitted from a star varies depending on its size, temperature, and age. Larger and hotter stars emit more radiation, while older stars emit less radiation as they run out of fuel for nuclear fusion.

4. How does radiation from a star affect its surrounding environment?

Radiation from a star can have a significant impact on its surrounding environment. It can heat up planets and other celestial bodies, create auroras, and even have an effect on the Earth's magnetic field.

5. Can radiation from a star be harmful to living organisms?

In large amounts, radiation from a star can be harmful to living organisms. However, our atmosphere acts as a shield, filtering out most harmful radiation and allowing only a small amount to reach the Earth's surface. This is why it is essential for astronauts to wear protective gear when venturing into space.