Radiation from a moving charge

In summary, the problem statement is about finding the time average of a radiation law for a charge undergoing simple harmonic motion. Using the Residue Theorem and converting the integral over time to an integral over theta, it is shown that the time average is equal to K/8 times the sin squared of theta times the quantity 4 plus beta squared times cos squared of theta, all divided by the quantity 1 minus beta squared times cos squared of theta, raised to the power of 7/2.
venatorr
1. The problem statement
The problem is from the textbook Mathematics for Physicist by S.M. Lea. it's problem 2.35

The power radiated per unit solid angle by a charge undergoing simple harmonic motion is

[itex] \frac{dP}{dΩ} = K \sin^{2}θ \frac{cos^{2}(ωt)}{(1+β \cosθ \sin(ωt))^{5}}[/itex]

where the constant K is

[itex]K=\frac{e^{2}~c~β^{4}}{4~\pi~a^{2}}[/itex]

and

[itex]β=\frac{a\omega}{c}[/itex]

is the amplitude/c. Using the Residue Theorem, perform the time average over one period to show that

[itex]\left\langle \frac{dP}{dΩ} \right\rangle = \frac{K}{8}\sin^{2}\theta \frac{4+\beta ^{2}\cos^{2}\theta}{(1-\beta^{2}\cos^{2}\theta)^{10}}[/itex]
[itex] \textit{}[/itex]

Homework Equations

[itex]\cos\theta=\frac{1}{2}\left( z +\frac{1}{z}\right)[/itex]​

[itex]\sin\theta=\frac{1}{2i}\left( z -\frac{1}{z}\right)[/itex]

where [itex]z=e^{i\theta}[/itex]

Residue theorem:

[itex]\oint_{C}f~dz = 2\pi i \sum Resf(z_{n})[/itex]​

The Attempt at a Solution

the time average of a function f(t) is

[itex]\frac{1}{T}\int_{0}^{T}f(t)[/itex]

My guess is that I have to convert the integral over time to an integral over θ and than convert it to an integral on the complex unit circle using the formula converting cosθ and sinθ to z. I can then do the integral using the Residue theorem

So i first converted it into an integral over theta

since [itex]\omega = \stackrel{~.}{\theta}[/itex]

[itex] K \sin^{2}θ \frac{cos^{2}(ωt)}{(1+β \cosθ \sin(ωt))^{5}}dt [/itex]

[itex] = K \sin^{2}θ \frac{cos^{2}(ωt)}{(1+β \cosθ \sin(ωt))^{5}} \frac{d\theta}{\omega}[/itex]

However I'm stuck with the term ωt in the sin and cos and I don't know how to convert them into theta. Since the speed is not constant in simple harmonic motion, I can't simply say ωt = θ. I also don't think I can say that ωt is constant with respect to theta.

Physics news on Phys.org
venatorr said:
My guess is that I have to convert the integral over time to an integral over θ and than convert it to an integral on the complex unit circle using the formula converting cosθ and sinθ to z. I can then do the integral using the Residue theorem

No, in the given radiation law, [itex]\theta[/itex] is the angle between the axis of the charged particles motion and the point at which the radiation is measured (the field point), while [itex]\omega[/itex] is the angular frequency of its motion. The two quantities are completely independent.

Instead, just use the substitution [itex]z\equiv e^{i\omega t}[/itex].

Thanks a lot i got it !

venatorr said:
Using the Residue Theorem, perform the time average over one period to show that

[itex]\left\langle \frac{dP}{dΩ} \right\rangle = \frac{K}{8}\sin^{2}\theta \frac{4+\beta ^{2}\cos^{2}\theta}{(1-\beta^{2}\cos^{2}\theta)^{10}}[/itex]
[itex] \textit{}[/itex]

In case this thread is referred to in the future, I believe the power of 10 written above should be corrected to 7/2 (see for example Jackson's text, 2nd edition, problem 14.5). So

[itex]\left\langle \frac{dP}{dΩ} \right\rangle = \frac{K}{8}\sin^{2}\theta \frac{4+\beta ^{2}\cos^{2}\theta}{(1-\beta^{2}\cos^{2}\theta)^{7/2}}[/itex]
[itex] \textit{}[/itex]

Therefore, I am not sure how to proceed with the time average over one period. I would appreciate any guidance or corrections on my approach.

Related to Radiation from a moving charge

1. What is the concept of radiation from a moving charge?

The concept of radiation from a moving charge is based on the idea that when a charged particle moves, it creates a disturbance in the electric and magnetic fields around it. This disturbance results in the emission of electromagnetic radiation, which can be in the form of radio waves, microwaves, infrared, visible light, ultraviolet, X-rays, or gamma rays.

2. How does the speed of the charged particle affect the radiation it emits?

The speed of the charged particle is directly proportional to the frequency of the emitted radiation. This means that as the particle moves faster, the frequency of the radiation it emits also increases. This relationship is described by the equation: f = (q/m)*v, where f is frequency, q is the charge of the particle, m is its mass, and v is its velocity.

3. What is the significance of the Lorentz factor in radiation from a moving charge?

The Lorentz factor, also known as the relativistic factor, takes into account the effects of special relativity on the radiation emitted by a moving charge. It is given by the equation: γ = 1/√(1-(v/c)^2), where v is the velocity of the particle and c is the speed of light. The Lorentz factor becomes important when the velocity of the charged particle approaches the speed of light, resulting in a significant increase in the frequency and energy of the emitted radiation.

4. What is the difference between radiation from a moving charge and radiation from a stationary charge?

The main difference between radiation from a moving charge and radiation from a stationary charge is the direction of the emitted radiation. A stationary charge emits radiation in all directions, while a moving charge emits radiation in a focused beam in the direction of its motion. Additionally, the frequency and energy of the emitted radiation are also affected by the movement of the charged particle.

5. How does radiation from a moving charge relate to the Doppler effect?

The Doppler effect is the change in frequency and wavelength of a wave due to the relative motion between the source of the wave and the observer. In the case of radiation from a moving charge, the Doppler effect causes a shift in the frequency of the emitted radiation as the charged particle moves towards or away from the observer. This effect is used in various scientific applications, such as in Doppler radar and Doppler ultrasound, to measure the speed and direction of moving objects.