Radial wave function and other graphs

In summary, the radial wave function can not be R (unnormalizable), so you want to be a bit clearer in formulating your question. Something with expectation values, perhaps ?thank you for paying attention towards my question.
V Anirudh Sharma
1.what is the difference between radial wave function(R),radial probability density(R^2) and radial probability function(4*π*r^2* R^2)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi V, :welcome:

The radial wave function can not be R (unnormalizable), so you want to be a bit clearer in formulating your question. Something with expectation values, perhaps ?

thank you for paying attention towards my question.
the function R that i spoke about was the Ψ function.

I see. However, "the function R was the ##\Psi## function" still does not make sense to me. If you mean ##\Psi##, why call it R ?

Now, what exactly is it you want to ask ?

If the Schroedinger equation can be solved by separation of variables in position and time we have a time-independent SE and write ##\psi (\vec r, t) = \phi(\vec r) T(t)##.

If, furthermore, ##\phi(\vec r) ## can also be factored into a depends on ##|\vec r|## only, such as for the hydrogen atom, we can write ##\psi (\vec r, t) = R(|\vec r|) F(\phi)P(\theta) T(t)##.

Could that be the R you are referring to ? Then why not say so !​
For the hydrogen atom example, in the ground state the angular part is constant and

The radial probability density then only depends on ##\vec r|## and simplifies to ## \displaystyle {dP\over dr} = R(|\vec r|)^2 \; 4\pi r^2##
The most probable value for ##|\vec r|## is where ##\displaystyle {dP\over dr}{dP\over dr} = 0##

The expectation value for ##|\vec r|##, which is ##<|\vec r|> = \int \psi^* r psi d^3r ## then simplifies to ##<|\vec r|> = \int r \displaystyle {dP\over dr}{dP\over dr} dr ##​

Perhaps studying this example can help you soting out the subtle differences ?

Likes V Anirudh Sharma
it was just that i had been reading a book on physical chemistry where there were 3 graphs related to schrodinger wave equation.
the first one was a graph of ' R vs r' of different orbitals( plot of radial wave function).
the second was of R^2 vs r(plot of radial probability density).
the third one was of " 4πr^2R^2 vs r " (plot of radial probability function).
the plots of the second one and third one mismatched drastically despite the fact that they both depict the radial probability.
all i know is that the first graph depicts the amplitude of the electron wave as a function of 'r'.
talking about the second and third graphs, especially what they talk about 1s orbital, the second one shows that as r tends to zero, R^2 tends to infinity whereas in the third one, 4πr^2R^2 tends to 0.
mathematically, i understood the plot. but what do both the graphs actually depict?

Related to Radial wave function and other graphs

1. What is a radial wave function and how is it related to graphs?

A radial wave function is a mathematical function that describes the behavior of a particle in terms of its distance from a central point or nucleus. It is often graphed as a function of distance, with the maximum value representing the most probable location of the particle.

2. How does a radial wave function differ from other types of wave functions?

A radial wave function is specific to spherical systems, such as atoms, while other types of wave functions can describe the behavior of particles in other shapes and systems. Additionally, a radial wave function only depends on the distance from the center, while other wave functions may also depend on other variables such as time or position.

3. What are some common applications of radial wave functions and graphs?

Radial wave functions and graphs are commonly used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of electrons in atoms and molecules. They are also used in other fields such as astrophysics to study the structure of stars and galaxies.

4. How do the peaks and valleys in a radial wave function graph correspond to the behavior of a particle?

The peaks in a radial wave function graph represent the most probable locations of the particle, while the valleys represent regions where the particle is less likely to be found. This behavior is described by the quantum mechanical principle of wave-particle duality, where particles can exhibit both wave-like and particle-like behavior.

5. Can radial wave functions and graphs be used to predict the behavior of particles in all systems?

No, radial wave functions are only applicable to spherical systems. For other systems, different types of wave functions and graphs may be used to accurately describe the behavior of particles. Additionally, the behavior of particles is also influenced by other factors such as external forces and interactions with other particles.