Radial probability density of hydrogen electron

In summary, the question asks for the probability of finding an electron between two distances from the nucleus in a hydrogen atom. While the exact solution involves integration, a good approximation is to use the difference in distances and treat it as a constant. This results in a simplified equation for the probability, which can be solved without evaluating an integral.
leehufford

Homework Statement

I know this question has been asked before, but I am looking for a different kind of answer than the other poster. Bear with me here.

Problem: For a hydrogen atom in the ground state, what is the probability to find the electron between the Bohr radius a0 and (1.01)a0? (Hint: it is not necessary to evaluate any integrals to solve this problem.)

Homework Equations

R(r) = (2/a03/2)e(-r/a0)

And P(r) is r2 times the square of the absolute value of R(r).

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm pretty sure I know how to solve this problem using integration. However, because of the hint about not evaluating any integrals, I feel like I am expected to find the "trick" or "shortcut" to getting the probability without evaluating an integral. I was thinking about using delta r instead of r, since the interval is so small it is roughly constant over the interval.

But my final answer has the Bohr radius dropping out of the equation (which seems right- I am looking for a dimensionless probability) but my answer is about 1,000 times smaller than that of the book answer.

I was hoping I could get a push in the right direction. Thanks for reading,

Lee

Physics news on Phys.org
Show your work.

Sorry about that.

P(r) dr = r2|(2/a03/2)e(-r/a0)|2dr

I just realized I was substituting delta r for both dr and r, which can't be right. The probability has to depend on the distance from to nucleus, not just the difference in the distances. So my earlier method was completely, fundamentally wrong. I just don't see how to do it without integration.

I tried using the actual Bohr radius 5.29 ×10−11 m for r and 0.01 for dr but it still isn't working.

[(1.01)(5.29 ×10−11 m)]2|(4/(5.29 ×10−11 m)3)e-2...(0.01)...

See now I run into using the Bohr radius for a0 and r, which gives a constant exponent in the exponential function...which again probably isn't right. I am missing something here.

Thanks for the reply,

Lee

I have also tried plugging in the two different radii separately and subtracting them, but I also got the wrong answer there. Again, I am not looking for the answer, I am looking for the concept. Thanks again,

Lee

leehufford said:
Sorry about that.

P(r) dr = r2|(2/a03/2)e(-r/a0)|2dr

I just realized I was substituting delta r for both dr and r, which can't be right. The probability has to depend on the distance from to nucleus, not just the difference in the distances. So my earlier method was completely, fundamentally wrong. I just don't see how to do it without integration.

I tried using the actual Bohr radius 5.29 ×10−11 m for r and 0.01 for dr but it still isn't working.

[(1.01)(5.29 ×10−11 m)]2|(4/(5.29 ×10−11 m)3)e-2...(0.01)...

See now I run into using the Bohr radius for a0 and r, which gives a constant exponent in the exponential function...which again probably isn't right. I am missing something here.

Thanks for the reply,

Lee
I am not sure why you feel there is something wrong with getting a constant exponent. This is actually correct. You just have to set [itex] r = a_0 [/itex] and for dr you use the difference of distances, that is [itex] 0.01 a_0 [/itex] . Note that one should do an integral to get the exact result but since the difference of distance is much smaller than r, it is a good approximation to not integrate and just use for dr the difference of distances between the two points.

By the way, did you include the factor of [itex] 4 \pi [/itex] coming from the integral over the angles?

Re trick: "I was thinking about using delta r instead of r, since the interval is so small it is roughly constant over the interval." Right !
$$\int_a^{a+\Delta a} P(r) dr \approx P(a) \Delta a$$

Re value: see Vela. Telepathy is not our strongest point.

[edit] apparently I didn't hit the Post reply button to end up as post #3. No matter. Re trick still applies and re vela was attended to. Helps me to ask lee to check the normalization of his P(r). (which, on closer inspection, is correct. Final answer 0.01 * 4 exp(-2) , is what I got.)

Last edited:
BvU said:
Re value: see Vela. Telepathy is not our strongest point.
You read my mind!

Thanks for all the replies, I got it now.

Related to Radial probability density of hydrogen electron

1. What is the radial probability density of a hydrogen electron?

The radial probability density of a hydrogen electron is a probability distribution function that describes the likelihood of finding the electron at a certain distance from the nucleus of a hydrogen atom. It is represented by the equation P(r), where r is the distance from the nucleus.

2. How is the radial probability density of a hydrogen electron calculated?

The radial probability density of a hydrogen electron is calculated using the Schrödinger equation, which is a mathematical equation that describes the behavior of quantum particles. The equation takes into account the electron's energy, potential energy, and the forces acting on it to determine the probability distribution at different distances from the nucleus.

3. What is the significance of the radial probability density of a hydrogen electron?

The radial probability density of a hydrogen electron is significant because it provides information about the electron's position in an atom. It helps us understand the behavior of electrons and their likelihood of being found at different distances from the nucleus. It also plays a crucial role in determining the energy levels of electrons in an atom.

4. How does the radial probability density of a hydrogen electron change with increasing distance from the nucleus?

The radial probability density of a hydrogen electron decreases as the distance from the nucleus increases. This is because the electron's energy decreases as it moves away from the nucleus and is more likely to be found in the lower energy levels near the nucleus.

5. What does the shape of the radial probability density curve of a hydrogen electron represent?

The shape of the radial probability density curve of a hydrogen electron represents the probability of finding the electron at a particular distance from the nucleus. The curve peaks at the most probable distance and decreases as the distance increases, reflecting the decreasing probability of finding the electron at greater distances from the nucleus.