Radial displacement in hollow cylinders

In summary: In summary, for an axisymmetric long tube, it is said that radial displacement is independent of axial coordinate due to symmetry. This means that all displacements, including u, v, and w, are independent of θ. However, it is important to note that this simplification only applies to long tubes and uniform loading along the length, and further analysis may be required for other scenarios. Additionally, the compatibility equations for polar coordinates can be found in various references such as the links provided.
farrukh.hafeez
For an axisymmetric long tube, it is said that radial displacement is independent of axial coordinate. What is the justification for this simplification?.
If u, v and w are axial , tangential and radial displacements then
u=u(x,θ,r)
v=v(x,θ,r)
w=w(x,θ,r)
Where x,θ,r are polar coordinates.
Due to axisymmetry all displacements are independent of θ. For a long tube ,also only radial displacement is independent of axial coordinate i.e. x axis. Why?

u=u(x,r)
v=v(x,r)
w=w(r)?
For example
See section 10.2.1 and equation 10.3 of "Mechanics of Fibrous composites" by Carl T Herakovich 1999 ISBN: 978-0-471-10636-4

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;

For an axisymmetric long tube, it is said that radial displacement is independent of axial coordinate. What is the justification for this simplification?.
Symmetry.
http://homepages.engineering.auckla...lasticityPolar/ElasticityPolars_01_Polars.pdf

Due to axisymmetry all displacements are independent of θ.
Hmmm... I don't think so... did you leave something out?

For a long tube ,also only radial displacement is independent of axial coordinate i.e. x axis. Why?
Try a few problems without assuming the independence and see what happens (do still use cylindrical-polar coordinates though).

Simon Bridge said:
Welcome to PF;

Symmetry.
http://homepages.engineering.auckla...lasticityPolar/ElasticityPolars_01_Polars.pdf

Hmmm... I don't think so... did you leave something out?

Yes, you are right. I think I didnot mention axisymmetric and uniform loading along the length

Try a few problems without assuming the independence and see what happens (do still use cylindrical-polar coordinates though).

Underprogress...will ask for help if required.

Do you know any reference which provides full expression for compatibility equations in polar coordinates by any chance?[/QUOTE]

Thanks

Related to Radial displacement in hollow cylinders

1. What is radial displacement in hollow cylinders?

Radial displacement in hollow cylinders refers to the change in the distance between the inner and outer surfaces of a cylinder, measured from the center of the cylinder. It is typically caused by external forces or internal pressure acting on the cylinder.

2. How is radial displacement calculated?

Radial displacement can be calculated using the formula Δr = P * (r^2/(2E*t)), where Δr is the radial displacement, P is the pressure, r is the radius of the cylinder, E is the elastic modulus, and t is the thickness of the cylinder.

3. What factors can affect radial displacement in hollow cylinders?

The main factors that can affect radial displacement in hollow cylinders include internal and external pressure, material properties such as elasticity and thickness, and the geometry of the cylinder. Temperature changes can also affect radial displacement by causing thermal expansion or contraction of the cylinder.

4. How is radial displacement measured?

Radial displacement can be measured using various methods such as strain gauges, displacement sensors, or optical techniques. These methods involve attaching instruments to the surface of the cylinder and measuring the change in distance between the surfaces.

5. Why is radial displacement important in engineering?

Radial displacement is an important concept in engineering, especially in the design and analysis of pressure vessels, pipelines, and other cylindrical structures. It helps engineers understand how materials and structures behave under pressure and external forces, and allows them to make necessary adjustments to ensure structural integrity and safety.