Radial Co-ordinate of a ball from the origin

In summary, the conversation discusses a ball in a frictionless tube that is rotating at a constant angular velocity. The ball is initially held in place by a string, but the string breaks at t=0. The conversation also mentions the difficulty in visualizing the scenario and the use of polar coordinates. The ball's radial coordinate from the origin, r(t), is then discussed and it is mentioned that it will change once the ball leaves the tube, unless the tube is assumed to be infinitely long. The conversation ends with the problem being solved and the subject of the course being revealed as Classical Mechanics.
RippyTheGator
1. A Ball is in a frictionles tube that is rotating with a constant angular velocity [itex]\omega[/itex]. The ball is initially held in place a distance r0 from the pivot by a string which breaks at t=0. If the radial coordinate of the ball from the origin is r(t), find r(t).

I am having a very hard to picturing this, and what the system is actually doing. I know I have to deal with polar coordinates.

jI don't really have an attempt at this solution because I do not know where to start really, I can't picture the diagram in my head. I know this isn't much to help me on, but any push in the right direction would be much much appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What class is this for? What are you learning that would be relevant.

From the description, it sounds as if the ball is in the tube, and the tube is rotating around one end at some pivot point. The string breaks, the tube is still rotating around the pivot. The ball is still constrained inside the tube but no longer has radial acceleration (since the string is now broken), only tangential. Of course, r(t) will change once the ball leaves the end of the tube (unless you assume it is infinitely long).

You wrote,

"Of course, r(t) will change once the ball leaves the end of the tube (unless you assume it is infinitely long)"

Won't r(t) change before it leaves the tube, otherwise it won't leave the tube?

Yes, I mean it will probably be a piecewise function because while it's still in the tube, it is constrained to move within the tube (which is still moving), but afterwards it is no longer constrained - haven't done the math, it may not be piecewise.

I figured it out, so no need to reply anymore. Thanks though! And Spinnor it is a Classical Mechanics course. It is a question dealing with vector components in Spherical coordinates.

Related to Radial Co-ordinate of a ball from the origin

1. What is the Radial Co-ordinate of a ball from the origin?

The Radial Co-ordinate of a ball from the origin is the distance between the center of the ball (the origin) and any point on the surface of the ball. It is measured along a straight line from the center to the surface of the ball.

2. How is the Radial Co-ordinate of a ball from the origin calculated?

The Radial Co-ordinate of a ball from the origin is calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, which states that the square of the hypotenuse (the distance from the origin to the surface of the ball) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides (the x and y coordinates of the point on the surface of the ball).

3. Can the Radial Co-ordinate of a ball from the origin be negative?

No, the Radial Co-ordinate of a ball from the origin cannot be negative. It represents a distance, which is always a positive value. If a point is located inside the ball, the Radial Co-ordinate will be smaller than the radius of the ball, but it will still be a positive value.

4. What is the unit of measurement for the Radial Co-ordinate of a ball from the origin?

The unit of measurement for the Radial Co-ordinate of a ball from the origin depends on the unit of measurement used for the x and y coordinates of the point on the surface of the ball. For example, if the x and y coordinates are measured in meters, the Radial Co-ordinate will also be measured in meters.

5. How does the Radial Co-ordinate of a ball from the origin relate to the size of the ball?

The Radial Co-ordinate of a ball from the origin is equal to the radius of the ball. This means that it directly relates to the size of the ball. The bigger the Radial Co-ordinate, the larger the ball will be, and vice versa.