Radial acceleration of the earth

In summary, to find the radial acceleration of the Earth at the equator, you can use the equation a=v^2/r, where v is the velocity of the Earth and r is the radius. After looking up the velocity of the Earth at the equator (1041 mi/hr), it was converted to 28 km/s. The radius of the Earth was also looked up (6378 km) and then substituted into the equation. The final calculation resulted in an acceleration of 122.9 m/s^2. However, there seems to be some confusion and uncertainty about the accuracy of this calculation.
UrbanXrisis
I need to find the radial acceleartion of the Earth @ the equator

a=v^2/r
a= [1041m/s)^2]/6378000m
a= 0.17 m/s^2

is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
whoops, did that wrong

okay...the equation to find radial acceleartion is a=v^2/r

v=the velocity the Earth is traveling at, which I looked up was 1041mi/hr at the equator. This then converts to 17.35 mi/s and then 28 km/s.

Then for r, I looked up that the radius of the Earth is 6378km. Then...
a= [28km/s)^2]/6378km
a=0.1229 km/s^2
a=122.9 m/s^2

I am still confused...did I do this correct?

Last edited:

Yes, your calculation for the radial acceleration of the Earth at the equator is correct. The value of 0.17 m/s^2 is the centripetal acceleration, or the acceleration towards the center of rotation due to the Earth's rotation. This value is relatively small compared to the Earth's gravitational acceleration of 9.8 m/s^2, which is the acceleration towards the center of mass due to the Earth's mass.

Related to Radial acceleration of the earth

1. What is radial acceleration of the earth?

Radial acceleration of the earth is the acceleration of the earth towards the center of its orbit around the sun. It is also known as centripetal acceleration and is caused by the gravitational force between the earth and the sun.

2. How is radial acceleration calculated?

Radial acceleration can be calculated using the formula a = v^2/r, where a is the radial acceleration, v is the speed of the earth in its orbit, and r is the distance between the earth and the sun.

3. What is the value of radial acceleration of the earth?

The value of radial acceleration of the earth varies depending on the distance between the earth and the sun. On average, it is about 0.0059 m/s^2, which is significantly smaller than the acceleration due to gravity on the earth's surface.

4. How does radial acceleration affect the earth?

Radial acceleration plays a crucial role in keeping the earth in its orbit around the sun. Without it, the earth would move in a straight line tangentially to its orbit and eventually drift away from the sun.

5. Is radial acceleration the only force acting on the earth?

No, radial acceleration is not the only force acting on the earth. The earth also experiences tangential acceleration due to its rotation on its own axis and other forces such as the gravitational pull of other planets and the moon. However, the radial acceleration is the dominant force in the earth's orbit around the sun.