Rack and Pinion Calculation help

• Thread starter EngineeringDave
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculation
In summary, the concept being discussed is a weight-driven rack and pinion system connected to a flywheel/alternator system for power generation. The question is seeking pointers or documents to assist with assessing possible power generation figures. The torque applied to the shaft can be calculated using the pitch radius of the pinion and the weight applied, and an upper limit for available energy can be found using the height of the rack and the weight applied. This energy is equivalent to burning 1 gram of ethanol or charging a cellphone.
EngineeringDave
Just to be aware this isn't homework this is a design concept and although calculations aren't required I'd like to assess a rough assessment of possible power generation figures.

The concept is a weight which pushes down upon the rack hence turning a pinion on a shaft which has lots of of these rack pinion systems, they are all connected to one shaft which in turn is connected to a flywheel/alternator system.

All material I've found to help myself, only looks at an motion input from the shaft not the rack and only looks to solve factor and safety issues (which of course are important).

Would anyone be so kind as to give some pointers or possible documents which may assist me.

Weight applied = 3300 N
Rack and Pinion dimensions we be reverse engineered from possible generator figures.

Regards

Dave

Engineering news on Phys.org
Do I understand that you want a descending weight to drive the rack which in turn rotates the generator? What will you do when the rack gets to the end of its motion? What exactly is your question? A figure would probably help.

Torque applied to shaft = (pitch diameter of pinion) X 3300N

tygerdawg, are you sure you mean "pitch diameter"? Wouldn't pitch radius be more correct?

With the correct radius, this should give the torque applied to the shaft. It does not, however, address the separating force between the pinion and the rack.

Yup, you're correct: pitch radius.

(It's the drugs. That's my excuse, and I'm sticking to it.)

I have drawn a figure here to assist.
Sorry about the grey scale.
Note: the box at the end would be an alternator or similar.

Attachments

• 11040025_10206054932281380_327318637_n.jpg
    11040025_10206054932281380_327318637_n.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 632
It's still not clear what exactly it is you'd like to know. If it's this:

EngineeringDave said:
I'd like to assess a rough assessment of possible power generation figures.

You can get an upper limit for power via
P = Fv

An upper limit for available energy can be found via:
E = mgh

Let's say your rack is 10 m tall
mg = F = 3300 N
Then
E = mgh = 3300 N * 10 m = 33,000 J = 33 kJ

Wolframalpha can give a sense of scale to that value:
~~ 1.2 × energy released by burning 1 gram of ethanol (~~ 27000 J )
~~ 0.84 × energy released by burning 1 gram of coal (~~ 39000 J )
~~ 0.87 × metabolic energy of one gram of fat (~~ 38000 J )

~~ 9.2 Wh (About enough to charge up one cellphone...)

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=33kJ

Related to Rack and Pinion Calculation help

1. How do I calculate the gear ratio for a rack and pinion system?

To calculate the gear ratio, divide the number of teeth on the pinion (smaller gear) by the number of teeth on the rack (longer gear). For example, if the pinion has 10 teeth and the rack has 50 teeth, the gear ratio would be 10/50 = 0.2.

2. What is the formula for determining the linear speed of a rack and pinion system?

The linear speed can be calculated by multiplying the gear ratio by the rotational speed of the pinion. For example, if the gear ratio is 0.2 and the pinion is rotating at 100 rpm, the linear speed would be 0.2 x 100 = 20 inches per minute.

3. How do I determine the torque required for a rack and pinion system?

The torque required can be calculated by multiplying the force applied to the rack by the pitch radius of the pinion. The pitch radius is the distance from the center of the pinion to the point where the teeth mesh with the rack. For example, if the force applied is 50 pounds and the pitch radius is 2 inches, the required torque would be 50 x 2 = 100 inch-pounds.

4. How do I choose the right size rack and pinion for my application?

The size of the rack and pinion needed will depend on the desired speed, torque, and load capacity of the system. Factors such as the length of the rack, diameter of the pinion, and number of teeth will also need to be considered. It is recommended to consult a manufacturer or use online calculators to find the appropriate size for your specific application.

5. What are some common problems with rack and pinion systems and how can they be avoided?

Common problems with rack and pinion systems include backlash (excessive play between the gears), wear and tear on the teeth, and misalignment. These issues can be avoided by properly lubricating the gears, using high-quality materials, and ensuring proper alignment and maintenance of the system. It is also important to regularly check for any signs of wear and make adjustments or replacements as needed.