Race Line in CFD: Finding the Fastest Route for Go-Cart Racing

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of using CFD to model a race track and determine the best racing line. However, it is mentioned that factors such as braking, acceleration, and other cars also play a role in determining the best line. It is suggested to seek professional tuition and practice to improve lap times. Some also mention that CFD may not be the most effective method for this task and that other factors such as track and vehicle dynamics should also be considered. The importance of testing and tuning is emphasized, along with factors such as track temperatures, tire compounds, and engine power. Overall, the conversation concludes that finding the fastest line, rather than the shortest, is the ultimate objective for racers.
herpamad
Hi

I want to model a race track in CFD. This is so I can figure out the best racing line.

Is it as simple as finding where the fluid flows fastest, and thus showing the best racing line?

I know its a little over the top, but its for a go cart track I race on, and I want to know how to get around it the fastest. I am a couple of seconds of the track leader/record holder, and sure that technology can give me an edge to make 2 seconds up on a 57 second record track.

I have Ansys Suite software at home, but at University i have a few other CFD suites, so any ideas on the best software, and the best way to go at this problem, albeit trivial and a bit of fun.

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Unfortunately fluid flow doesn't approximate 'the racing line'. In reality this depends on a whole load of things, none of which have got anything to do with fluid flow (braking rate, acceleration rate, cornering speeds, other cars etc).

Nice thought though.

If you want to find out how to go faster round the track, take some professional tuition and get practicing.

As brewnog mentioned, CFD is really not what you're looking for. The best line around a track I would assume would be a function not only of the track, but of the vehicle as well. I would guess this is much more a dynamics issue, and less a fluids issue.

Could CFD be performed of a vehicle traveling around a track? Sure. However, the effort that would take would be tremendous. I mean...huge.

i agree.. best bet is to pick a day you can tune and test and experiment on best way to " diamond" the track..note you "marks" when practicing..once you get best lap times , remeber the " marks" ( where you turn in, brake, accelerate coming off the corners)
practice makes perfect

I want to know how to get around it the fastest.

Like any racer test and tune is best for results, shortest way around (most efficient path) would be your objective. In addition to what was mentionded earlier, you must also look at track temperatures, tire compunds, tire pressures, weight transfer, engine power & gearing, and ambient air temperature. Since your engine will produce more power and torque at cooler temps you have to make sure your tires are doing what they should be doing. Do you check your tire temps after hot laps or practices?

What kind of track is this by the way?

This question is fundamentally wrong from the get-go. What do you mean, 'find where the fluid flow is fastest' on a race track? The fluid doesn't flow anywhere...it is quiescent. You need to rethink the question you're asking here...everyone has missed a very basic fundamental point.

Fahlin Racing said:
Like any racer test and tune is best for results, shortest way around (most efficient path) would be your objective.

http://phors.locost7.info/phors05.htm

Actually no.

Not the shortest, but rather the fastest is the objective :)

The question was asking how to find the BEST RACING LINE...and I think we answered it..

Related to Race Line in CFD: Finding the Fastest Route for Go-Cart Racing

1) What is CFD?

CFD stands for Computational Fluid Dynamics. It is a computer-based simulation technique used to study the behavior of fluids and gases, such as air and water, in motion. CFD is often used in engineering and scientific research to analyze and predict the performance of various systems, such as race cars, airplanes, and weather patterns.

2) How does CFD help in finding the fastest race line for go-cart racing?

CFD allows us to simulate the flow of air around the go-cart and its surrounding environment. By analyzing this flow, we can determine the drag and downforce on the go-cart, which are crucial factors in determining its speed and handling. CFD also helps us to optimize the design of the go-cart's body and components, such as the shape of the chassis and the placement of the wing, to reduce drag and increase downforce, ultimately resulting in a faster race line.

3) What are the key parameters in CFD that affect the race line for go-cart racing?

The key parameters in CFD for go-cart racing include the velocity of the go-cart, the air density, the shape of the go-cart's body, and the placement and design of the wing. These parameters can be adjusted and optimized in the CFD simulation to find the most efficient and fastest race line for the go-cart.

4) How accurate is CFD in predicting the fastest race line for go-cart racing?

CFD is a highly accurate and reliable simulation technique when used correctly. It takes into account all the relevant physical factors and provides a detailed analysis of the fluid flow around the go-cart. However, the accuracy of the results depends on the accuracy of the input data and the assumptions made in the simulation. Therefore, it is essential to validate the CFD results with real-world experiments to ensure their accuracy.

5) Can CFD be used for other types of racing, such as Formula One or NASCAR?

Yes, CFD can be used for other types of racing, including Formula One and NASCAR. In fact, CFD is widely used in the automotive and motorsports industries to optimize the performance of vehicles and predict their behavior on the track. It can also be used in other applications, such as aerodynamics in aircraft design and weather forecasting.