R commutative ring then R[x] is never a field

• MHB
  • Thread starter Math Amateur
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Field Ring
In summary, Peter showed that if R is a commutative ring then R[x] is never a field. However, he also showed that if R is a field then the constant polynomials have inverses.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Joseph Rotman's book Advanced Modern Algebra.

I need help with Problem 2.20 on page 94.

Problem 2.20 reads as follows:

2.20. Prove that if R is a commutative ring then R[x] is never a field.

Could someone please help me get started on this problem.

Peter

***EDIT*** Presumably one shows there are polynomials that do not have inverses??/

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Peter said:
I am reading Joseph Rotman's book Advanced Modern Algebra.

I need help with Problem 2.20 on age 94.

Problem 2.20 reads as follows:

2.20. Prove that if R is a commutative ring then R[x] is never a field.

Could someone please help me get started on this problem.

Peter

***EDIT*** Presumably one shows there are polynomials that do not have inverses??/
I have been reflecting on my own post ... and two points come to mind regarding Rotman's Problem 2.20.

Firstly since R is a commutative ring we cannot guarantee that the constant polynomials have inverses ... so on this ground alone R[x] can not be a field ... ... unless of course, R is a field in which case the constant polynomials will have inverses ... but then ...

Secondly, polynomials such as \(\displaystyle p(x) = x \text{ or } x^2 \text{ or } x^3 \text{ etc. } \) would require 'polynomials' like \(\displaystyle x^{-1} \text{ or } x^{-2} \text{ or } x^{-3} \text{ etc. } \) and these do not come under the definition of polynomials ...

Can someone please confirm that the above analysis presents an answer to Rotman's problem 2.2)? I would appreciate any critique of the "proof".

Peter

Claim: $x$ has no inverse in $R[x]$, if $R \neq \{0\}$.

Proof (by contradiction):

Suppose it did, so we have some polynomial:

$a_0 + a_1x + \cdots + a_nx^n \in R[x]$ with:

$x(a_0 + a_1x + \cdots + a_nx^n) = 1$, that is:

$0 + a_0x + a_1x^2 + \cdots + a_nx^{n+1} = 1 + 0x + 0x^2 + \cdots + 0x^{n+1}$.

Equating coefficients (which we can do since $R$ is commutative, and thus we can view $R[x]$ as an $R$-module with BASIS: $\{1,x,x^2,\dots\}$-recall that commutative rings have the invariant basis property), we have:

$a_0 = a_1 = \dots = a_n = 0$,
$0 = 1$,

which means that $R[x]$ is a TRIVIAL ring, contradiction.

(and this means, yes, you're right!).

Deveno said:
Claim: $x$ has no inverse in $R[x]$, if $R \neq \{0\}$.

Proof (by contradiction):

Suppose it did, so we have some polynomial:

$a_0 + a_1x + \cdots + a_nx^n \in R[x]$ with:

$x(a_0 + a_1x + \cdots + a_nx^n) = 1$, that is:

$0 + a_0x + a_1x^2 + \cdots + a_nx^{n+1} = 1 + 0x + 0x^2 + \cdots + 0x^{n+1}$.

Equating coefficients (which we can do since $R$ is commutative, and thus we can view $R[x]$ as an $R$-module with BASIS: $\{1,x,x^2,\dots\}$-recall that commutative rings have the invariant basis property), we have:

$a_0 = a_1 = \dots = a_n = 0$,
$0 = 1$,

which means that $R[x]$ is a TRIVIAL ring, contradiction.

(and this means, yes, you're right!).

Thanks Deveno ... Definitely needed help with the formal proof ... Appreciate the help

Peter

Sure, I'd be happy to help you get started on this problem. First, let's review the definitions of a commutative ring and a field.

A commutative ring is a set R with two operations, addition and multiplication, that satisfy the following properties:

1. Addition and multiplication are both associative.
2. Addition and multiplication are both commutative.
3. The ring has an additive identity element, denoted by 0.
4. The ring has a multiplicative identity element, denoted by 1.
5. For any elements a, b, c in the ring, a(b+c) = ab + ac (left distributive property).

A field is a commutative ring with the additional property that every nonzero element has a multiplicative inverse. This means that for every nonzero element a in the field, there exists an element b such that ab = 1.

Now, let's consider the polynomial ring R[x], which consists of all polynomials with coefficients in R. We can define addition and multiplication of polynomials in the same way as for numbers, using the distributive property. For example, (3x^2 + 2x + 1) + (x^2 + 3) = 4x^2 + 2x + 4.

To show that R[x] is not a field, we need to show that there exists a polynomial that does not have a multiplicative inverse. Let's consider the polynomial x+1. If we multiply this polynomial by any other polynomial, the result will always have a nonzero constant term (since x times any other polynomial will have a nonzero constant term, and adding 1 will not change this). Therefore, there is no polynomial in R[x] that can be multiplied by x+1 to give the constant polynomial 1, which is the multiplicative identity element. This means that x+1 does not have a multiplicative inverse in R[x], and therefore R[x] is not a field.

I hope this helps you get started on the problem. Good luck!

Related to R commutative ring then R[x] is never a field

1. What is a commutative ring?

A commutative ring is a mathematical structure consisting of a set of elements and two operations, addition and multiplication, that satisfy certain properties. These properties include commutativity, associativity, distributivity, and the existence of additive and multiplicative identities.

2. What is R[x]?

R[x] is the polynomial ring over R, which is the set of all polynomials with coefficients from the ring R. It is formed by adding a formal variable, denoted by x, to the ring R.

3. Why is R[x] never a field if R is a commutative ring?

This is because R[x] always contains non-invertible elements. In a field, every non-zero element must have a multiplicative inverse, but in R[x], the constant polynomials (elements of R) do not have a multiplicative inverse.

4. Can R be a field and R[x] be a field at the same time?

No, this is not possible. If R is a field, then R[x] cannot be a field because R[x] would contain non-invertible elements (as mentioned in the previous answer).

5. Are there any exceptions to the statement "R commutative ring then R[x] is never a field"?

No, this statement holds true for all commutative rings. It is a fundamental property of polynomial rings and is a consequence of the definition of a field.