Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

[SOLVED] Quotes when processing a reply

ZaidAlyafey

MHB Math Helper
Jan 17, 2013
It would be so nice if I can quote somebody's comment when processing mine without having to go back to the main thread and finding the desired comment.

Ackbach

Indicium Physicus
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
It would be so nice if I can quote somebody's comment when processing mine without having to go back to the main thread and finding the desired comment.
You can use the Reply with Quote button or the Multi-Quote This Message button when you reply. I used the former in replying to this thread. Do these buttons not do what you're asking? Do you know how to use the Multi-Quote button?

ZaidAlyafey

MHB Math Helper
Jan 17, 2013
I meant that , if I want to quote your comment I have to press on the reply with quote button then write my comment . Assume that I am writing my comment but I wanted to quote somebody's comment now . Do I have to return back to the thread and press the reply with a comment button ? . It would be nice if we can do so by just scrolling down and quote the reply directly without having to return to the thread .

Ackbach

Indicium Physicus
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
I meant that , if I want to quote your comment I have to press on the reply with quote button then write my comment . Assume that I am writing my comment but I wanted to quote somebody's comment now . Do I have to return back to the thread and press the reply with a comment button ? . It would be nice if we can do so by just scrolling down and quote the reply directly without having to return to the thread .
So you're saying that you'd like there to be more options available to you when you're replying, with respect to previous posts? Currently, it is true, all you can do is look at them. I suppose you could copy plain text, but you can't copy $\LaTeX$ code.

A work-around for now: if you've started a reply, and want to include more previous posts in your reply, then copy your existing post to the clipboard, go back to the thread, select all posts you want to quote, Multi-Quote, then paste your clipboard contents into your reply.

ZaidAlyafey

MHB Math Helper
Jan 17, 2013
So you're saying that you'd like there to be more options available to you when you're replying, with respect to previous posts? Currently, it is true, all you can do is look at them. I suppose you could copy plain text, but you can't copy $\LaTeX$ code.
Exactly .

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Yes, you do. I don't think this is that big of an inconvenience though. It might take ~10-20 seconds to open another tab, hit the quote button, then copy/paste that into your original post. If there were a way to add this feature for you and everyone, I would do it but it's not available right now as a modification for vBulletin. :(.

You can though! :) Anytime you see a $\LaTeX$ image on MHB you can see its code by:

1) Right click on the image
2) Click "Show Math As"
3) Click "TeX Commands"

(Cool)

Ackbach

Indicium Physicus
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
You can though! :) Anytime you see a $\LaTeX$ image on MHB you can see its code by:

1) Right click on the image
2) Click "Show Math As"
3) Click "TeX Commands"

(Cool)
Ah, I see you can do this even when you're replying. Excellent!

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
I'm going to mark this thread as [SOLVED] because it's been answered how one can view previous posts in a thread while replying, including $\LaTeX$.