Understanding the Missing Stages in Simplifying Expressions

In summary, simplifying an expression is the process of reducing a mathematical expression to its simplest form by combining like terms, applying the correct order of operations, and eliminating unnecessary parentheses. It is important to simplify an expression because it makes it easier to understand, work with, and avoid errors in calculations. The steps to simplify an expression are combining like terms, using the correct order of operations, eliminating unnecessary parentheses, simplifying any remaining terms, and checking for errors or further simplification. Some common techniques used to simplify expressions include factoring, distributing, and using the distributive property. However, not all expressions can be simplified, as some may already be in their simplest form or not have any like terms to combine. Careful examination of the
exequor
can someone explain to me the stages that are missing in the expression in the attached picture. i think that it has to do with identities but in the book that i got it from did not explain clearly how they went from one line to another. i will appreciate the help very much.

Attachments

• physicsexp.gif
    physicsexp.gif
    1.6 KB · Views: 453
Physics news on Phys.org
It uses this identity:

[tex]sin(x)cos(y) = \frac{1}{2}\left(sin(x+y) + sin(x-y)\right)[/tex]

[tex] x = \theta[/tex]
[tex] y = \theta - 30^o[/tex]

thanx very much gnome i thought that i would never get a response

What is simplifying an expression?

Simplifying an expression is the process of reducing a mathematical expression to its simplest form by combining like terms, applying the correct order of operations, and eliminating unnecessary parentheses.

Why is it important to simplify an expression?

Simplifying an expression makes it easier to understand and work with, and helps to avoid errors in calculations. It also allows for easier comparison and manipulation of multiple expressions.

What are the steps to simplify an expression?

The steps to simplify an expression are:
1. Combine like terms
2. Use the correct order of operations
3. Eliminate unnecessary parentheses
4. Simplify any remaining terms
5. Check for any errors or further simplification.

What are some common techniques used to simplify expressions?

Some common techniques used to simplify expressions include factoring, distributing, and using the distributive property. Other techniques include using the commutative and associative properties, and combining like terms.

Can all expressions be simplified?

No, not all expressions can be simplified. Some expressions may already be in their simplest form, or may not have any like terms that can be combined. It is important to carefully examine the expression to determine if simplification is necessary.