QUICK torque and static equilibrium

In summary, in this conversation, the problem of finding the tension in a cable attached to a uniform beam that is free to pivot at one end is discussed. The equations and steps to solve the problem are provided, with a reminder to take into account the center of mass of the beam. The key point is to set the torque around the pivot point to zero and solve for the tension in the cable.
rawrdrena

Homework Statement

A uniform beam of length 1.0m and mass 10 kg is attached to a wall by a cable (the cable makes a 30 degree angle with the beam). The beam is free to pivot at the point where it attaches to the wall. What is the tension in the cable?

Homework Equations

F(net) = F(beam) - F(cable) = 0
torque = [F(beam) x d(beam)]+[F(cable) x d(cable)]

The Attempt at a Solution

I think these equations are correct. I was able to figure out the torque of the beam (10kg x 9.8m/s2 x 1.0m) but I am having trouble figuring out what to do with the cable. How and where do I use the angle? Do I use it to find the distance of the cable itself? or its distance up the wall?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ey mate hope this helps haven't touched this for a while now

your equations look correct

F(net) = F(beam) - F(cable) = 0
torque = [F(beam) x d(beam)]+[F(cable) x d(cable)]

Now by the looks you can work out what to do once you have your torque due to the weight of the beam.

First off (you didnt mention where the centre of mass of the beam was*, generally its in the middle). Now what you have done is correct as long as your center of mass is at the end of the beam which is unlikely.

You can work out the force(beam), which is its weight, the distance at which it acts on the beam from the pivit point. Now **You** want the torque around this point to be zero** thus let torque equal zero and solve using your torque equation.

Now I am assuming the cable is attached to the end of the beam, thus you know all your variables besides F(cable) pulling up. Thus you should be able to solve for this force and find the required value.

Once you have this the rest should fall into place

KEY*** torque is equal to zero about the pivit point thus you can solve for F(wire) knowing the other varibales

Hope this helps Trent (sorry about it being long, justifying it to myself along the way)

As a scientist, you are correct in using the equations for net force and torque to solve this problem. To determine the tension in the cable, you will need to find the distance of the cable from the pivot point. This can be done by using trigonometry and the given angle of 30 degrees. Once you have the distance of the cable from the pivot point, you can use it in the torque equation to solve for the tension in the cable. Remember to also consider the direction of the torque and tension in your calculations.

Related to QUICK torque and static equilibrium

1. What is "QUICK" torque and how is it different from regular torque?

QUICK torque, also known as Quasi-Universal Intense Coherent Kinetic energy, is a type of torque that involves the transfer of energy from one object to another through a rotating force. It is different from regular torque in that it is a more powerful and precise form of torque, allowing for greater control and manipulation of objects.

2. How is static equilibrium related to QUICK torque?

Static equilibrium is the state in which all forces acting on an object are balanced, resulting in no net acceleration. QUICK torque can be used to achieve static equilibrium by applying precise and controlled forces to an object, allowing it to remain in a stable and balanced position.

3. Can QUICK torque be used in real-world applications?

Yes, QUICK torque has a wide range of real-world applications. It is commonly used in robotics, manufacturing, and medical procedures for precise and controlled movements. It is also utilized in sports equipment and vehicles for increased performance and stability.

4. How is QUICK torque measured?

QUICK torque is typically measured in newton-meters (Nm) or foot-pounds (ft-lb), which represent the amount of force needed to produce a certain amount of rotational movement. It can also be measured using specialized instruments such as torque sensors or torque wrenches.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using QUICK torque?

While QUICK torque has many advantages, it also has some limitations. It requires specialized equipment and training to be used effectively, and it can be expensive to implement in certain applications. Additionally, QUICK torque may not be suitable for all types of objects or situations, as some may require a different type of torque or force.