Quick thermo problem[just an uncertainty]

In summary, the SI units of the calibration constants B and R_0 in a semi-conducting thermistor with a resistance that varies with temperature according to the equation R(T)=R_0 exp[B/T] are temperature for B and resistance in ohms for R_0. This information can be found in the introductory chapter of a thermodynamics course.
K29

Homework Statement

A semi-conducting thermistor has a resistance that veries with temperature as follows:
[tex]R(T)=R_0 exp[\frac{B}{T}][/tex]
What are the SI units of the calibration constants [tex]B[/tex] and [tex]R_0[/tex]

This is just the intro chapter to my second thermodynamics course. Anyway, I'm not sure how to start off. I mean I've eliminated dimensional analysis as a way of going about things. I can see its almost an exponential decay formula. All I need is a clue or something :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Mathematically, what must be the units of any argument to an exponential function? (I assume you meant R0eB/T.)

Ok the units of the exponential function must be unitless. So B is temperature so that it cancels with T. And that leaves [tex]R_0[/tex] to be Resistance in ohms! Right? Thank u.

Right! :wink:

The calibration constants B and R_0 in the given equation have different units. B has units of Kelvin (K), while R_0 has units of Ohms (Ω). This can be seen by rearranging the equation to solve for each constant:

B = R(T) * T/ln(R(T)/R_0)
R_0 = R(T) * exp(B/T)

It is important to note that the units of the thermistor's resistance, R(T), will also depend on the units used for temperature (K or °C). This equation is commonly used in thermistor calibration to determine the resistance at a specific temperature.

Related to Quick thermo problem[just an uncertainty]

1. What is a quick thermo problem?

A quick thermo problem refers to a situation where there is uncertainty or a lack of understanding about the thermal behavior of a system or material. It often involves temperature changes, heat transfer, and thermal equilibrium.

2. How do you solve a quick thermo problem?

The first step to solving a quick thermo problem is to clearly define the problem and gather all relevant information, such as initial and final temperatures, heat transfer mechanisms, and material properties. Then, use appropriate equations and principles from thermodynamics and heat transfer to calculate the desired values.

3. What are the common sources of uncertainty in quick thermo problems?

The sources of uncertainty in quick thermo problems can vary, but some common ones include measurement errors, variations in material properties, and assumptions made during calculations. It is important to identify and address these uncertainties in order to obtain accurate results.

4. How do you minimize uncertainty in quick thermo problems?

To minimize uncertainty in quick thermo problems, it is important to carefully design experiments or simulations to reduce measurement errors and to accurately measure material properties. Additionally, using multiple methods to solve the problem and comparing results can help to identify any discrepancies and reduce overall uncertainty.

5. What are some real-world applications of quick thermo problems?

Quick thermo problems have many applications in various industries, such as in designing and optimizing thermal systems for buildings, vehicles, and electronic devices. They are also important in materials science, for example in understanding the thermal behavior of new materials for use in energy storage or thermal insulation.