Quick SUVAT Check: Find Time for Particles P & Q to Become Level

• Thread starter Taylor_1989
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Suvat
In summary, the question asks for the time between the firing of two particles and the time it takes for the two particles to become level. Using the SUVAT equation, the time between firings is found to be 1.8 seconds. To find the length of time after P is fired before the two particles become level, the equation S=ut+\frac{1}{2}at^2 is used and solved simultaneously. The correct answer is t=2.44s, and the intuition behind the question is to find the time it takes for particle P to reach its maximum height and for particle Q to reach the same height after being fired 1.8 seconds later.
Taylor_1989
I would just like someone to give a quick check to part b) of this question, just to make sure I have fully grasped the concept.

A t=0s, particle P is fired vertically upwards with speed 17.64ms-1.When P reaches its maximum height, particle Q is fired vertically upwards with a speed 25ms-1. Both particles are fired from ground level.

a) find the time between the two particles being fired.
Ans:1.8s

b) Find the length of the time after P is fired before the two particles become level.

So I start with the SUVAT equation:

S=Sp, U=17.64, V=0, T=T
S=Sq, U=25, V=N/A, T=T-1.8

I then use the equation [itex]S=ut+\frac{1}{2}at^2[/itex]

I would the set Sp=Sq, and solve simultaneously.

My point I would like to touch on is the t part. I set T=T because I do not know the total time take for the ball to reach maximum height; correct? T=T-1.8, because once again I do not know 1. the time taken for the ball to reach max height 2. - 1.8 because it was fired 1.8s later than the first.

I did end up with the right ans which is t=2.44s. But just want to makes sure I have the right intuition behind the question.

Big thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Taylor_1989 said:
I did end up with the right ans which is t=2.44s. But just want to makes sure I have the right intuition behind the question.
Yes you do. Good job.

Related to Quick SUVAT Check: Find Time for Particles P & Q to Become Level

What is a Quick SUVAT check?

A Quick SUVAT check is a method used in physics to find the time it takes for two particles, P and Q, to become level. This method uses the SUVAT equations, which are mathematical formulas that relate the initial and final values of an object's displacement, velocity, acceleration, and time.

Why is it important to find the time for particles P and Q to become level?

Knowing the time it takes for particles P and Q to become level can help us understand the motion of these particles and make predictions about their future movements. This information is useful in various fields, such as engineering, physics, and astronomy.

What are the SUVAT equations?

The SUVAT equations are a set of equations that relate the displacement (S), initial velocity (U), final velocity (V), acceleration (A), and time (T) of an object. These equations are: S = UT + 1/2AT^2, V = U + AT, and V^2 = U^2 + 2AS. They are commonly used in physics to solve problems related to motion and can be applied to finding the time for particles P and Q to become level.

How do I use the Quick SUVAT check to find the time for particles P and Q to become level?

To use the Quick SUVAT check, you will need to know the initial and final displacements (S), initial and final velocities (U and V), and acceleration (A) of particles P and Q. Once you have these values, you can plug them into the SUVAT equations and solve for the time (T), which will give you the time it takes for particles P and Q to become level.

Can the Quick SUVAT check be used for particles with different initial and final velocities?

Yes, the Quick SUVAT check can be used for particles with different initial and final velocities. However, it is important to note that the SUVAT equations assume that the acceleration (A) is constant. If the acceleration is not constant, a more complex method, such as calculus, may be needed to find the time for particles P and Q to become level.