Quick simplification/factoring of a square root

In summary, to simplify a square root, you need to find the largest perfect square factor of the number inside the square root and move it outside while taking the square root of the factor and leaving it inside. A perfect square factor is a number that, when multiplied by itself, gives the number inside the square root. You can simplify a square root with a decimal inside by first converting it to a fraction and then following the same steps as simplifying a square root with whole numbers. To factor a square root, you need to find two perfect square numbers that when multiplied together, give you the number inside the square root. And finally, you can simplify a square root with variables by finding the largest perfect square factor of the variable inside and leaving
worries
If you could see the image attached, I think it looks better than me typing it here. Didn't know how to embed the image.

I would just like to know how it becomes 2v to √2v.

EDIT: Ignore. Figured it out. Don't know why I was even baffled. :/

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
attachment

Attachments

• dont-get.JPG
    dont-get.JPG
    3 KB · Views: 365

Related to Quick simplification/factoring of a square root

1. How do I simplify a square root?

To simplify a square root, you need to find the largest perfect square factor of the number inside the square root. Divide the number by the perfect square factor and move it outside the square root. Then, take the square root of the perfect square factor and leave it inside the square root.

2. What is a perfect square factor?

A perfect square factor is a number that, when multiplied by itself, gives the number inside the square root. For example, 9 is a perfect square factor of 36 because 9 x 9 = 36.

3. Can I simplify a square root that has a decimal inside?

Yes, you can simplify a square root with a decimal inside. First, convert the number to a fraction by placing the decimal number over 1. Then, follow the same steps as simplifying a square root with whole numbers.

4. How do I factor a square root?

To factor a square root, you need to find two numbers that when multiplied together, give you the number inside the square root. These two numbers should also be perfect squares. Then, write the square root as the product of the square roots of the two numbers.

5. Can I simplify a square root with variables?

Yes, you can simplify a square root with variables. In this case, you need to find the largest perfect square factor of the variable inside the square root. Then, move that factor outside the square root and leave the remaining variables inside.