Quick Questions on Fluids: Pressure, Density, and Hydraulic Lifts Explained

• Thread starter future_vet
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fluids
In summary, the conversation discusses various concepts related to pressure and fluid mechanics. It covers topics such as units of pressure, Pascal's principle, density of fluids, and hydraulic systems. The conversation also includes calculations for determining pressure and force in different scenarios.
future_vet
1. Which of the following is not a unit of pressure? (Points: 1)
atmosphere
N / m
Pascal
mm of mercury

Well, I would say it's N/m, but I thought it would not hurt to check.

2. When atmospheric pressure increases, what would hapen to the absolute presure at the bottom of a pool? (Points: 1)
It does not change.
It increases by a lesser amount.
It increases by the same amount.
It increases by a greater amount.

It should increase by the same amount, due to Pascal's principle.

3. Salt water is more dense than fresh water. A ship floats in both fresh water and salt water. Compared to the freshwater, the volume of water displaced in the salt water is (Points: 1)
more.
less.
the same.
cannot be determined from the information given.

I would say it is less, since it is more dense.

4. An ideal fluid flows at 12 m/s in a horizonal pipe. If the pipe widens to twice its original radius, what is the fluid flow in the wider section. (Points: 1)
12 m/s
6.0 m/s
4.0 m/s
3.0 m/s

Do we use: R=v x A ? If so, the answer is 3.0? I am a bit confused here...

5. A person weighing 900 N is standing on snowshoes. Each snowshoe has area of 2500 cm2 . What is the pressure on the snow? (Points: 1)
450 N/m2
900 N/m2
1800 N/m2
3600 N/m2

I have use the equation P=F/A and found the answer to be 3600.

6. In a hydraulic garage lift, the small piston has a radius of 5.0 cm and the large piston has a raduis of 15 cm. What force must be applied on the small piston in order to lift a car weighing 20,000 N on the large piston. (Points: 1)
6.7 x 103 N
5.0 x 103 N
2.9 x 103 N
2.2 x 103 N

I have no idea... Please help me...

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
For #1, you got it. N/m is a spring constant unit.
for #6, you can use this formula F1/A2=F2/A2. I hope that helps!

Thanks!
Would A1 and A2 be 3.14 x 5^2 and 3.14 x 15^2?
Where do I go from there?

Oh wait, I took the last answer 2.2 etc and multiplied it by 706.5 then divided by 78.5, and got close to 20,000N. So the right answer it the last one, right? (I did do the conversions though)

future_vet said:
Thanks!
Would A1 and A2 be 3.14 x 5^2 and 3.14 x 15^2?
Where do I go from there?

you got it! area of a circle is PI(r^2)!
The units are in metres not cm.

Last edited:
Thanks! I chose d) as the right answer. Any idea for the other ones?

Related to Quick Questions on Fluids: Pressure, Density, and Hydraulic Lifts Explained

1. What are the basic properties of fluids?

Fluids are substances that can flow and conform to the shape of their container. They also have the ability to exert pressure and can be compressed.

2. What are the differences between liquids and gases?

Liquids have a definite volume and take the shape of their container, while gases have no definite shape or volume and will expand to fill the entire container. Liquids are also less compressible than gases.

3. How is the density of a fluid related to its pressure?

The density of a fluid is directly related to its pressure. As the pressure on a fluid increases, its density also increases. This is known as the compressibility of fluids.

4. How do fluids behave when in motion?

When a fluid is in motion, it experiences a force known as drag. This force is caused by the friction between the fluid and its container or any other objects in its path.

5. What is the difference between laminar and turbulent flow?

In laminar flow, the fluid particles move in a smooth, orderly manner with no crosscurrents or disruptions. In turbulent flow, the fluid particles move in a chaotic, irregular manner with crosscurrents and disruptions. Turbulent flow is often associated with higher velocities and can result in more drag and energy loss.