Quick question regarding tangential acceleration

In summary, the force responsible for tangential acceleration can be any force acting along the object's path, such as a jet engine or oars. Torque is the force that causes tangential acceleration, and increasing torque will also increase tangential acceleration. Tangential acceleration is equal to r times angular acceleration, and it is different from angular acceleration.
ace123
What is the force that is responsible for the tangential acceleration? And how does this acceeleration work. I mean this must increase the object's linear velocity right? Since it acts parallel to it. Can someone help clarify this for me.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
ace123 said:
What is the force that is responsible for the tangential acceleration? And how does this acceeleration work. I mean this must increase the object's linear velocity right? Since it acts parallel to it. Can someone help clarify this for me.

Thanks
What you say is correct. However, the force could by anything that acts along the path of the object, such as a jet engine or the oars of a rowboat.

I think torque is responsible for tangential acceleration. Increased torque will increase tangential acceleration.

So would any object that is rotating experience a tangential acceleration? Or does it need a force to be applied like in an example of a bicycle wheel?

Mr Noblet said:
I think torque is responsible for tangential acceleration. Increased torque will increase tangential acceleration.

Torque is equal to the perpendicular force times the distance r from the axis of rotation to the point of application of the force. I believe you got tangential acceleration confused with angular acceleration.

Or maybe I'am wrong.:smile:

Edit: Yes I'am wrong because I just read that tangential acceleration = r times angular acceleration.

Thanks

Last edited:

Related to Quick question regarding tangential acceleration

1. What is tangential acceleration?

Tangential acceleration is the rate of change of an object's tangential velocity, which is the velocity in the direction of the object's motion.

2. How is tangential acceleration different from centripetal acceleration?

Tangential acceleration and centripetal acceleration are both components of the overall acceleration of an object in circular motion. While tangential acceleration is in the direction of the object's motion, centripetal acceleration is perpendicular to it and directed towards the center of the circular path.

3. How is tangential acceleration calculated?

Tangential acceleration can be calculated using the formula a = v^2/r, where a is the tangential acceleration, v is the tangential velocity, and r is the radius of the circular path.

4. What is the unit of measurement for tangential acceleration?

The unit of measurement for tangential acceleration is meters per second squared (m/s^2).

5. How does tangential acceleration affect an object's motion?

Tangential acceleration can change the speed and direction of an object's motion. If the tangential acceleration is positive, the object's speed will increase, and if it is negative, the speed will decrease. Additionally, tangential acceleration can cause an object to change its direction of motion, as it is always perpendicular to the object's tangential velocity.