Quick question regarding a step in a bra ket derivation

In summary, the conversation was about the derivation of the energy of a perturbed system and the question of whether a step in the derivation was a misprint or actually correct. The equation in question was E_{n}^{1}\left \langle \Psi _{k}^{0} |\Psi _{n}^{0} \right \rangle = E_{n}^{0}\delta _{kn}, and after examining the derivation and realizing that the term goes to zero in the following step, it was determined to be a misprint. The final solution needed to be in terms of E_{n}^{0} for it to work.
rwooduk
In class we went through the derivation of the energy of a perturbed system, I've dug my old notes out and found a bra ket derivation of the same thing, there's just one step that doesn't look right and was wondering if someone could tell me if its a misprint or actually correct (and why).

[tex]E_{n}^{1}\left \langle \Psi _{k}^{0} |\Psi _{n}^{0} \right \rangle = E_{n}^{0}\delta _{kn}[/tex]

im assuming its a misprint, but then its presented in the final solution.i.e. you need everything in terms of [tex]E_{n}^{0}[/tex] for it to work.

Physics news on Phys.org
rwooduk said:
In class we went through the derivation of the energy of a perturbed system, I've dug my old notes out and found a bra ket derivation of the same thing, there's just one step that doesn't look right and was wondering if someone could tell me if its a misprint or actually correct (and why).

[tex]E_{n}^{1}\left \langle \Psi _{k}^{0} |\Psi _{n}^{0} \right \rangle = E_{n}^{0}\delta _{kn}[/tex]

im assuming its a misprint, but then its presented in the final solution.i.e. you need everything in terms of [tex]E_{n}^{0}[/tex] for it to work.

Indeed, ##\left \langle \Psi _{k}^{0} |\Psi _{n}^{0} \right \rangle = \delta _{kn}## so what you say should hold. Without seeing the full derivation and knowing exactly what is being argued, it is difficult to tell though.

Thanks for the reply! I managed to borrow my freinds scanner and have attached the derivation. I've put a red arrow (2nd file) which indicates the problem / misprint. As you can see you need it as printed to get alpha k n.

edit yes its a misprint, the term goes to zero in the following step, must be going blind! thanks for the help anyway!

Attachments

• img002.jpg
    img002.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 396
  • img001.jpg
    img001.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 419
  • img003.jpg
    img003.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 411
Last edited:

Related to Quick question regarding a step in a bra ket derivation

1. What is a bra-ket derivation?

A bra-ket derivation is a mathematical technique used in quantum mechanics to represent and manipulate wave functions. It involves the use of "bra" and "ket" notation, which represent the inner product and outer product of two vectors, respectively.

2. How is a bra-ket derivation used in quantum mechanics?

A bra-ket derivation is used to calculate the probability amplitudes for the state of a quantum system. It allows for the manipulation of wave functions and operators to determine the possible outcomes of a measurement or experiment.

3. What is the difference between a bra and a ket in a bra-ket derivation?

A bra represents the complex conjugate of a vector, while a ket represents the vector itself. This notation is used to represent the inner product and outer product of two vectors, respectively.

4. Can a bra-ket derivation be used for any quantum system?

Yes, a bra-ket derivation can be used for any quantum system as long as it follows the principles of quantum mechanics. It is a universal technique that is used to describe the state and behavior of quantum systems.

5. Are there any limitations to using a bra-ket derivation?

While a bra-ket derivation is a powerful and widely used technique in quantum mechanics, it does have its limitations. It may not be applicable to certain systems or situations, and it may not always provide accurate results in complex scenarios.