Quick question on mirror and lens scenario

In summary, the conversation discussed the behavior of light when reflected or refracted by convex/concave mirrors and diverging/converging lenses. It was highlighted that off-center light hitting a curved mirror will reflect at a different angle than when hitting the center, and that placing an object closer to the lens than the focal point will cause the light to diverge instead of being parallel. The conversation also clarified that for a flat mirror, light is always reflected at the same angle, but for curved mirrors, the angle of reflection is the same as the angle of incidence at each point of reflection. Additionally, it was mentioned that for a diverging lens, the light will always be diverging after passing through the lens, while for a converging
hongiddong
I attached a picture with 3 questions?

My first question is, I know that for a convex or concave mirror, If I shine a light at an angle to the middle of the mirror the light will reflect with the same angle. Will the angle be the same if I shine the light at the concave/convex mirror if it is not in the middle, when the light is not at the focal points, or parallel?

My second and third questions are related, for a diverging and converging lens, if I have the object in ront of the focal point, and the light is shining diagonally away from the focal point, will the light refract into the lens parallel?

The drawings should help elucidate!

Thank you!

Attachments

• Lense question.png
    Lense question.png
    11.8 KB · Views: 401
Science news on Phys.org
Shining the light at an off center part of the mirror would make the ray reflect at a different angle than shining it at the center of the mirror. That's precisely how mirrors and lenses work to converge or diverge light.

Placing an object closer to the lens than the focal point would make the light diverge after being refracted through the lens instead of being parallel.

My first question is, I know that for a convex or concave mirror, If I shine a light at an angle to the middle of the mirror the light will reflect with the same angle. Will the angle be the same if I shine the light at the concave/convex mirror if it is not in the middle, when the light is not at the focal points, or parallel?

The simple answer is that light is always reflected at the same angle from a mirror...

Attachments

• Mirror.png
    Mirror.png
    5.1 KB · Views: 406
Likes 1 person
CWatters said:
The simple answer is that light is always reflected at the same angle from a mirror...

That's only true for a flat mirror. Two parallel rays hitting a curved mirror will reflect at different angles if they hit in different locations.

From the diagram to which he added the reflected rays, I'm pretty sure that "always reflected at the same angle" was supposed to mean "always reflected at the same angle as it came in, at that point", i.e. angle of reflection = angle of incidence at each point of reflection.

Likes 1 person
For the diverging lens, if the object was infront of the focal point, and the light is hitting it as shown in my picture, would then the refracting light continue to refract away in the same direction from the focal point instead of going parallel?

Lastly, what would happen to a converging lens for the same scenario in which the object is infront of the focal point?

Oh I'm sorry, I didn't realize that was a diverging lens. In that case, the light will always be diverging after passing through the lens, no matter where you place the object. In your picture you have the light refracting the wrong way.

For a converging lens the rays will be refracted to parallel with each other if the object is located at the focal point, they will diverge if the object is closer to the lens than the focal point, and will converge if the object is farther from the lens than the focal point.

Likes 1 person
Thanks everyone. I understand the problem now

Drakkith said:
That's only true for a flat mirror. Two parallel rays hitting a curved mirror will reflect at different angles if they hit in different locations.

You misunderstand what I meant.

Clearly two different rays hitting a curved mirror at different locations will reflect at different angles BUT each will still be reflected at the same angle it arrived at. The angle of incidence is always the same as the angle of reflection.

CWatters said:
You misunderstand what I meant.

Clearly two different rays hitting a curved mirror at different locations will reflect at different angles BUT each will still be reflected at the same angle it arrived at. The angle of incidence is always the same as the angle of reflection.

Oh, you mean the angle of the ray compared to the mirror's surface. Gotcha.

Related to Quick question on mirror and lens scenario

1. How does a mirror reflect light?

A mirror reflects light through a process called reflection. When light hits the smooth surface of a mirror, it bounces off at an angle that is equal to the angle at which it hit the mirror. This creates an image of the object in front of the mirror.

2. What is the difference between a concave and convex lens?

A concave lens is thicker at the edges and thinner in the middle, causing light rays to spread out and diverge. This type of lens is used to correct nearsightedness. A convex lens, on the other hand, is thicker in the middle and thinner at the edges, causing light rays to converge. This type of lens is used to correct farsightedness.

3. How does a lens refract light?

A lens refracts light by bending the light rays as they pass through it. The amount of bending depends on the shape and curvature of the lens. This bending of light is what allows lenses to focus and create images.

4. Can a lens or mirror create a perfect image?

No, due to the nature of light and the imperfections in the surface of lenses and mirrors, a perfect image cannot be created. However, modern technology has allowed for the creation of high-quality lenses and mirrors that can produce very clear images.

5. How are lenses and mirrors used in everyday life?

Lenses and mirrors have a wide range of uses in everyday life. Mirrors are used for personal grooming, in vehicles for rearview mirrors, and in telescopes and microscopes to reflect and magnify images. Lenses are used in eyeglasses, cameras, and projectors to focus and magnify light. They are also used in scientific instruments such as microscopes and telescopes.