Quick question on Geodesic Equation

In summary: Gamma^{i}_{00}## as:##\Gamma^{i}_{00} = \frac{1}{2} \eta^{ip} \left(h_{0p,0} + h_{0p,0} - h_{00,p}\right)##.The key thing is the following, the terms:##h_{0p,0} + h_{0p,0}## must vanish in the Newtonian limit, and using a static approximation, they indeed do. You will notice that both of these terms are derivatives with respect to time. In the Newtonian world, where observers move at speeds v << c, gravitational systems
unscientific
Starting with the geodesic equation with non-relativistic approximation:

[tex] \frac{d^2 x^{\mu}}{d \tau^2} + \Gamma_{00}^{\mu} \left( \frac{dx^0}{d\tau} \right)^2 = 0 [/tex]

I know that ## \Gamma_{\alpha \beta}^{\mu} = \frac{\partial x^{\mu}}{\partial y^{\lambda}} \frac{\partial^2 y^{\lambda}}{\partial x^{\alpha} \partial x^{\beta}}##, so
[tex]\Gamma_{00}^{\mu} = \frac{\partial x^{\mu}}{\partial y^{\lambda}} \frac{\partial^2 y^{\lambda}}{\partial t^2} [/tex]

How did they get the relation ##\Gamma_{00}^{\mu} = -\frac{1}{2} g^{\mu \lambda} \frac{\partial g_{00}}{\partial x^{\lambda}}##?
2dqtvlf.png

Physics news on Phys.org
unscientific said:
I know that ##\Gamma_{\alpha \beta}^{\mu} = \frac{\partial x^{\mu}}{\partial y^{\lambda}} \frac{\partial^2 y^{\lambda}}{\partial x^{\alpha} \partial x^{\beta}}##

Do you have a reference? That's not the formula for the Christoffel symbols that I'm familiar with. The one I'm familiar with, as given, for example, here, reduces to the relation you are asking about immediately for the 0-0 case if you assume that the metric is independent of time (which is what "stationary" means).

unscientific said:
I know that ## \Gamma_{\alpha \beta}^{\mu} = \frac{\partial x^{\mu}}{\partial y^{\lambda}} \frac{\partial^2 y^{\lambda}}{\partial x^{\alpha} \partial x^{\beta}}##, so
[tex]\Gamma_{00}^{\mu} = \frac{\partial x^{\mu}}{\partial y^{\lambda}} \frac{\partial^2 y^{\lambda}}{\partial t^2} [/tex]

I think I've seen that somewhere, if I remember correctly it's the christoffel symbols in a general coordinate transform (i.e. non-inertial).
Just use the ones written in terms of the metric.

PeterDonis said:
Do you have a reference? That's not the formula for the Christoffel symbols that I'm familiar with. The one I'm familiar with, as given, for example, here, reduces to the relation you are asking about immediately for the 0-0 case if you assume that the metric is independent of time (which is what "stationary" means).

HomogenousCow said:
I think I've seen that somewhere, if I remember correctly it's the christoffel symbols in a general coordinate transform (i.e. non-inertial).
Just use the ones written in terms of the metric.

I got these from my lecturer's notes.

I tend to get confused by the ever-changing metrics they use. It would be very helpful if I could see the steps leading to ##
\Gamma_{00}^{\mu} = -\frac{1}{2} g^{\mu \lambda} \frac{\partial g_{00}}{\partial x^{\lambda}} ##.

unscientific said:
I got these from my lecturer's notes.

I tend to get confused by the ever-changing metrics they use. It would be very helpful if I could see the steps leading to ##
\Gamma_{00}^{\mu} = -\frac{1}{2} g^{\mu \lambda} \frac{\partial g_{00}}{\partial x^{\lambda}} ##.

Hi. First, I have never understood why folks like to look at the geodesic equation in a flat-space, non-relativistic limit, as that defeats the beauty of G.R., but, nevertheless, here is how your lecturer obtained that equation, at least according to me:

Assume a weak gravitational field, where your spacetime metric ##g_{uv}## is perturbed by a Minkowski metric ##\eta_{uv}##. So, we have that:
##g_{uv} = \eta_{uv} + h_{uv}##, where ##h_{uv}## is the relativistic part of the metric tensor. If you have done some G.R. already, then, you will see this technique commonly used in gravitational wave theory.

The full definition of the metric connection (assuming it is torsion-free, and in a coordinate basis) is the Christoffel symbol definition, which is:
##\Gamma^{a}_{by} = \frac{1}{2}g^{ad} \left(g_{dy,b} + g_{db,y} - g_{by,d}\right)##.
Substituting in our definition of ##g_{uv}## from above into this expression, we get that:
##\Gamma^{a}_{by} = \frac{1}{2} \eta^{ad} \left(h_{dy,b} + h_{db,y} - h_{by,d}\right)##, this is a first-order approximation of course, as is commonly the case in Newtonian gravity.

We now just use the above equations to find for example ##\Gamma^{i}_{00}## as:
##\Gamma^{i}_{00} = \frac{1}{2} \eta^{ip} \left(h_{0p,0} + h_{0p,0} - h_{00,p}\right)##.
The key thing is the following, the terms:
##h_{0p,0} + h_{0p,0}## must vanish in the Newtonian limit, and using a static approximation, they indeed do. You will notice that both of these terms are derivatives with respect to time. In the Newtonian world, where observers move at speeds v << c, gravitational systems have a very weak time-dependence, compared to their spatial dependence. For example, compare any Newtonian gravitational system's timescales/age to the age of the Sun, or galaxy, it is very, very small on these scales. So, we neglect all time derivatives in this approximation, and obtain:
##\Gamma^{i}_{00} = -\frac{1}{2} \eta^{ip} \left(h_{00,p}\right)##.

Which is precisely the relationship you seek.

I hope that helps.

Dr. Ikjyot Singh Kohli

dr_ikjyotsinghk said:
Hi. First, I have never understood why folks like to look at the geodesic equation in a flat-space, non-relativistic limit, as that defeats the beauty of G.R., but, nevertheless, here is how your lecturer obtained that equation, at least according to me:

Assume a weak gravitational field, where your spacetime metric ##g_{uv}## is perturbed by a Minkowski metric ##\eta_{uv}##. So, we have that:
##g_{uv} = \eta_{uv} + h_{uv}##, where ##h_{uv}## is the relativistic part of the metric tensor. If you have done some G.R. already, then, you will see this technique commonly used in gravitational wave theory.

The full definition of the metric connection (assuming it is torsion-free, and in a coordinate basis) is the Christoffel symbol definition, which is:
##\Gamma^{a}_{by} = \frac{1}{2}g^{ad} \left(g_{dy,b} + g_{db,y} - g_{by,d}\right)##.
Substituting in our definition of ##g_{uv}## from above into this expression, we get that:
##\Gamma^{a}_{by} = \frac{1}{2} \eta^{ad} \left(h_{dy,b} + h_{db,y} - h_{by,d}\right)##, this is a first-order approximation of course, as is commonly the case in Newtonian gravity.

We now just use the above equations to find for example ##\Gamma^{i}_{00}## as:
##\Gamma^{i}_{00} = \frac{1}{2} \eta^{ip} \left(h_{0p,0} + h_{0p,0} - h_{00,p}\right)##.
The key thing is the following, the terms:
##h_{0p,0} + h_{0p,0}## must vanish in the Newtonian limit, and using a static approximation, they indeed do. You will notice that both of these terms are derivatives with respect to time. In the Newtonian world, where observers move at speeds v << c, gravitational systems have a very weak time-dependence, compared to their spatial dependence. For example, compare any Newtonian gravitational system's timescales/age to the age of the Sun, or galaxy, it is very, very small on these scales. So, we neglect all time derivatives in this approximation, and obtain:
##\Gamma^{i}_{00} = -\frac{1}{2} \eta^{ip} \left(h_{00,p}\right)##.
ve
Which is precisely the relationship you seek.

I hope that helps.

Dr. Ikjyot Singh Kohli
Thanks a lot for working with me on this, I really appreciate it. But, I think these are too advanced for me. I am trying to work with the notes I have here - Chapters 5 and 6.

Attachments

• B3..pdf
    811.2 KB · Views: 404
unscientific said:
Thanks a lot for working with me on this, I really appreciate it. But, I think these are too advanced for me. I am trying to work with the notes I have here - Chapters 5 and 6.

Hi. No problem. I am not familiar with your textbook or set of notes. I am sure, however, that there is no other way to derive the expressions above. I believe your lecturer just skipped some steps, because they may have been too technical, which is unfortunate, but frequently happens.

dr_ikjyotsinghk said:

Yes, this is the definition I am familiar with.

dr_ikjyotsinghk said:
Substituting in our definition of ##g_{uv}## from above into this expression

To get the expression unscientific is asking about, there's a simpler way, if you know that the metric is independent of time (i.e., of ##x^0##), which is the "stationary" assumption referred to in the OP. We have, from the general expression above,

$$
\Gamma^a{}_{00} = \frac{1}{2}g^{ad} \left(g_{d0,0} + g_{d0,0} - g_{00,d}\right)
$$

But if the metric is independent of ##x^0##, the first two terms inside the parentheses vanish, so we're left with

$$
\Gamma^a{}_{00} = - \frac{1}{2}g^{ad} \left( g_{00,d} \right)
$$

as desired.

dr_ikjyotsinghk said:
I am sure, however, that there is no other way to derive the expressions above.

There is for the expression the OP asks about; see above. That expression is valid for any stationary metric; you don't need to make the weak field approximation. (The lecture notes do make that approximation, but later on in the derivation when it's actually needed; they don't make it just to derive the expression above.)

Last edited:
unscientific said:
I am trying to work with the notes I have here

About halfway down page 11, you'll find the expression for ##\Gamma## given in post #5 (with different labeling of the indexes, but that doesn't matter).

Related to Quick question on Geodesic Equation

1. What is the Geodesic Equation?

The Geodesic Equation is a mathematical equation that describes the shortest path between two points on a curved surface, also known as a geodesic. It is used in fields such as physics, mathematics, and engineering to calculate trajectories and determine the motion of objects in a curved space.

2. How is the Geodesic Equation used in physics?

In physics, the Geodesic Equation is used to describe the motion of particles and objects in curved spaces, such as in general relativity and cosmology. It is also used in fields like celestial mechanics and spacecraft trajectory planning.

3. What is the significance of the Geodesic Equation?

The Geodesic Equation is significant because it allows scientists and engineers to understand and predict the motion of objects in curved spaces, which is essential in fields such as astronomy, space exploration, and GPS technology.

4. How is the Geodesic Equation derived?

The Geodesic Equation is derived from the principle of least action, which states that the actual path of an object is the path that minimizes the action, or the integral of a Lagrangian function. By applying this principle to a curved space, the Geodesic Equation can be derived.

5. Are there any practical applications of the Geodesic Equation?

Yes, there are many practical applications of the Geodesic Equation, including in navigation systems, satellite and spacecraft trajectories, and gravitational lensing. It is also used in the study of black holes, cosmology, and the formation of galaxies.