Quick question on accuracy (statistics)

In summary, the individual has nine sets of data, each with three people taking ten measurements of three different distances. They have already calculated the mean and standard deviation for each set, but need to estimate the accuracy of each person's measurements. One suggestion is to use the root mean square, but the individual is unsure if this is the correct method. Another person mentions looking at the standard deviations of the means and clarifies that the standard deviation is a valid measure of accuracy. The discussion also touches on different measures of accuracy and how the standard deviation is one of them. After some clarification, the individual understands the question and thanks the others for their help.
Elfrae
I've got nine sets of data (three people each took ten measurements of three different distances), and I need to find an estimate of the accuracy to which each person measured each distance.

I've already calculated the mean and standard deviation for each set of data, but I don't know how to estimate the accuracy. Someone mentioned using the root mean square but I'm not sure if this is correct. How do I go about this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Look at the standard deviations of the means.

[tex] \sigma_{\mu_{x}} = \frac{\sigma_{x}}{\sqrt{N}} [/tex]

Last edited:
I'm not sure I understand you. Are you saying that the standard deviation of the mean is the standard deviation of the data divided by root N? Is that the accuracy? I don't know what is meant by 'accuracy' in this context.

"Root mean square" is the standard deviation!

I think Courtigrad was under the impression that you wanted an "overall" accuracy for all three people, not three different accuracies.

Just as there are several different "averages" (mean, median, mode, midrange) so there are several different measures of accuracy or "dispersion".

The standard deviation is itself a perfectly good measure of "accuracy". Another is the "distance from the mean": Take the absolute value of the difference of each measurement and the mean. The "accuracy" is the largest of those: you are saying that the "true value" is the mean plus or minus that "accuracy".

So there is no one definition for 'accuracy' but using the standard deviation as a value for accuracy is acceptable?

Right, now I know what the question is asking! Thank you.

Related to Quick question on accuracy (statistics)

What is accuracy in statistics?

Accuracy in statistics refers to the closeness of a measured or calculated value to its true or expected value. It is a measure of how well a statistical model or method is able to predict outcomes or estimate parameters.

How is accuracy calculated in statistics?

Accuracy is typically calculated by comparing the predicted or estimated values to the actual values and determining the percentage of correct predictions or estimates. It can also be calculated using the formula (TP + TN) / (TP + TN + FP + FN), where TP = true positives, TN = true negatives, FP = false positives, and FN = false negatives.

What is the difference between accuracy and precision in statistics?

While accuracy refers to the closeness of a value to its true or expected value, precision refers to the consistency or reproducibility of a set of measurements. In other words, precision is a measure of how close a series of measurements are to each other, while accuracy is a measure of how close the average of those measurements is to the true value.

How can accuracy be improved in statistical analysis?

There are several ways to improve accuracy in statistical analysis, including increasing sample size, using more accurate measurement tools, reducing bias in data collection, and using more advanced statistical models or techniques. It is also important to carefully consider the data being used and its relevance to the research question or hypothesis.

Why is accuracy important in statistics?

Accuracy is important in statistics because it allows us to make reliable and valid conclusions based on data. It is also a key factor in evaluating the effectiveness of statistical models or methods. Inaccurate data or analyses can lead to incorrect conclusions and can have serious consequences in fields such as medicine, finance, and public policy.