Quick question (hopefully) on Matlab transfer functions

In summary, The conversation discusses the use of rational expressions in Matlab and how they must be specified as s=tf('s'). The rational expression is then entered as H=s/(s^2 + 2*s +10), with H representing the transfer function. There is no significance in the letter H and it could be saved under any name. The output is represented as Y(s) = H(s) x U(s), showing the connection between the transfer function and input in Matlab.
Steve Collins

Homework Statement

I'm reading through the help files and came across this example:

s = tf('s');
H = s/(s^2 + 2*s +10);

I understand that when using a rational expression it must be specified, s= tf('s');

I also understand that the rational expression is entered through H=s/(s^2 + 2*s +10);

I'm just struggling a bit with how these two expressions connect to each other. To me it looks like s/(s^2 + 2*s +10) is being saved as H, but there is no H in the first expression. Is H arbitrary? Could s/(s^2 + 2*s +10) be saved under any name or is there significance in the letter H?

Physics news on Phys.org
OK, think I have it...

output, Y(s) = transfer function, H(s) x Input, U(s) so H is naming the transfer function within Matlab and this is the connection.

Related to Quick question (hopefully) on Matlab transfer functions

1. What is a transfer function in Matlab?

A transfer function in Matlab is a mathematical representation of the relationship between the input and output of a system. It is commonly used in control systems analysis and design.

2. How do I create a transfer function in Matlab?

To create a transfer function in Matlab, you can use the "tf" function, which takes in the coefficients of the numerator and denominator polynomials as parameters. You can also use the "zpk" function for specifying the zeros, poles, and gain of the transfer function.

3. Can I plot a transfer function in Matlab?

Yes, you can plot a transfer function in Matlab using the "bode" or "nyquist" functions. These functions will generate a plot of the magnitude and phase response, or the Nyquist plot, respectively.

4. How do I analyze the stability of a transfer function in Matlab?

The stability of a transfer function in Matlab can be analyzed using the "pole" function, which returns a vector of the transfer function's poles. If all the poles are in the left half of the complex plane, the system is stable. You can also use the "margin" function to calculate the gain and phase margins of the transfer function.

5. Can I convert a transfer function to a state-space representation in Matlab?

Yes, you can convert a transfer function to a state-space representation in Matlab using the "tf2ss" function. This function takes in the numerator and denominator coefficients of the transfer function and returns the corresponding state-space matrices.