Quick question about significant figures

In summary, the calculation to determine the mass of ethanol needed to supply 1000 kJ of heat involves converting from kilojoules to moles to grams using the standard enthalpy of combustion and molecular weight of ethanol. The answer of 33.68 g should be reported with four significant figures, as the given value of 1000 kJ is assumed to have an implicit decimal point and therefore has four significant figures. However, it is important to consider the significance of the given value and use reasonable judgement when determining the number of significant figures in a calculation.
henry3369

Homework Statement

What mass of ethanol, C2H5OH(l), must be burned to supply 1000 kJ of heat? The standard enthalpy of combustion of ethanol at 298 K is -1368 kJ⋅mol-1, and its molecular weight is 46.07 g⋅mol-1 .

I know how to solve this, but I'm unsure about the number of significant figures.

Homework Equations

Solved using dimensional analysis

The Attempt at a Solution

1000 kJ * (1 mol/1368kJ) * (46.07g/1mol) = 33.68 g.

So apparently 4 significant figures is correct, but I don't understand why. Shouldn't be 1 significant figure because 1000 was used in the calculation? My teacher takes off points for incorrect number of significant figures and I would've reported the answer as 30 g in this case. And I did check to make sure that 1000 wasn't followed by a decimal point (1000.)

Physics news on Phys.org
Even though there was no explicit decimal point, it is assume that there is an implicit decimal point. Otherwise it could have been 1001 or 999

phinds said:
Even though there was no explicit decimal point, it is assume that there is an implicit decimal point. Otherwise it could have been 1001 or 999
How do you know when you can assume there is a decimal point? Whenever a whole number is followed by a zero? So if it asked for 430 kJ instead of 1000 kJ, would I now use 3 significant figures?

Would you assume that 433 is 3 significant digits? If so, why would you NOT assume that 430 is 3 significant digits? In the absence of any information to the contrary, I think it is normal to assume that the given figure is good to the number of digits given. You DO have to be reasonable about that though. I would NOT assume that, say, 1,320,000 is 7 significant digits. There I would likely figure on 3.

It would be better - and less confusing - to use 1.000×103 notation. But I would go with 1000 meaning 4 sigfigs too.

In the statement of the problem, the figure 1000 kJ is not a measurement, but an exact number, so it (technically) has an infinite number of significant figures. If the problem had said, "when burning ethanol you measure 1000 kJ of heat to be evolved. Calculate the mass of ethanol," then I would agree that writing 1000 kJ implies only one significant figure, but the problem statement makes clear that 1000 kJ was not experimentally determined and therefore has no uncertainty.

Likes phinds
I might suggest reviewing the rules of determining significant figures in scientific calculations and applying them to the calculation results in your problem.

Related to Quick question about significant figures

1. What are significant figures and why are they important in scientific measurements?

Significant figures are the digits in a number that are meaningful and contribute to the precision of a measurement. They are important because they indicate the level of accuracy in a measurement, and allow for consistency and clarity when reporting and comparing data.

2. How do I determine the number of significant figures in a measurement?

The general rule for determining significant figures is to count all non-zero numbers and any zeros between them. Trailing zeros in a number without a decimal point are not significant. However, trailing zeros after a decimal point are significant. For example, 100 has one significant figure, while 100.0 has four significant figures.

3. Can I round off significant figures when performing calculations?

Yes, when performing calculations, the final answer should be rounded off to match the number with the least number of significant figures in the calculation. This ensures that the level of precision is consistent throughout the calculation.

4. What is the significance of using scientific notation in expressing significant figures?

Using scientific notation allows for a more concise and consistent way of expressing significant figures. It also helps to avoid errors and confusion when dealing with very large or very small numbers.

5. Is the use of significant figures limited to scientific measurements?

No, significant figures are also important in other fields such as engineering, economics, and finance. They are used to indicate the level of precision and accuracy in any measurement or calculation.