Quick question about power lines and E=IxR

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between power lines, voltage, current, and resistance. It is explained that to minimize resistance, the numerator of the quotient should be smaller and the denominator larger. However, it is clarified that the power loss is actually I2R, so minimizing current is the key to minimizing losses. The concept of resistance being a fixed property of the materials used for the power lines is also mentioned.
Lavid2002
Ok so I have read that power lines carry very high voltage to minimize loss through resistance, but when I take a look at the formula

E=IxR
E=Voltage
I=Current
R=Resistance

Divide both sides to get

E/I=R

To minimize R we should make the numerator of the quotient smaller, and the denominator larger (I.E. 1/1,000,000) To get a small value for R right?

This would in turn, mean cranking up the current, and lowering the voltage :confused:

I know I am wrong, as the companies get good results from cranking up the voltage. I can't find my error though.

Thanks Guys :D

-Dave

Physics news on Phys.org
The power loss is actually I2R, so minimizing current minimizes losses.

R is fixed, a material property of the aluminum/iron that the wires are made of. You are minimizing power loss as Bob S said.

Related to Quick question about power lines and E=IxR

1. How are power lines related to the formula E=IxR?

Power lines are related to the formula E=IxR because they are used to transmit electrical energy, which is represented by the variable E in the formula. The current, represented by the variable I, and the resistance, represented by the variable R, in the power lines determine the amount of energy that can be transmitted.

2. What does the formula E=IxR represent?

The formula E=IxR represents the relationship between electrical energy, current, and resistance in a circuit. It states that the energy (E) in a circuit is equal to the product of the current (I) flowing through the circuit and the resistance (R) of the circuit.

3. How do power lines affect the value of resistance in a circuit?

Power lines can affect the value of resistance in a circuit by either increasing or decreasing it. The material and thickness of the power lines can impact the resistance, as well as any external factors such as temperature or damage to the lines. Higher resistance can result in a decrease in the amount of energy that can be transmitted through the power lines.

4. What is the role of resistance in power lines?

The role of resistance in power lines is to limit the amount of current flowing through the circuit. This is important because too much current can cause damage to the power lines and other components in the circuit. Resistance also helps to regulate the amount of energy being transmitted through the power lines.

5. Why is the formula E=IxR important in the field of electricity and power distribution?

The formula E=IxR is important in the field of electricity and power distribution because it helps to understand and calculate the flow of energy and current in a circuit. It is used to design and maintain power lines and other electrical systems, ensuring that the appropriate amount of energy is being transmitted and that the system is operating safely and efficiently.