Quick question about Gibbs Free Energy

In summary, the conversation discusses guidelines for posting on a platform and a problem involving superheated steam. The task is to find the maximum amount of work that can be extracted from the gas, given values for U, S, P, and V for both initial and final states. The person initially considers using Gibbs free energy, but realizes that it requires constant pressure, which is not the case in this problem. They ask for help in determining the correct approach to solving the problem.
Jake4
If this isn't the correct place to ask this, please point me to where I should. I feel there are quite a few guidelines to what can be posted and what cannot, so I hope I don't break any rules!

I'm working on a problem, that deals with a superheated steam, that goes from an initial state to a final state.

I'm asked (given values for U, S, P, V for both initial and final states... all of which change) to find the maximum amount of work I can extract from the gas.

My first thought was to simply use Gibbs free energy, as that is essentially the definition of it.

However, Gibbs free energy requires constant pressure to calculate, but in this problem, the pressure changes.

If I'm dealing with changes in all of these values (H, P, S) with a constant T, should I just use the change in P?

I really appreciate any help :)

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the defining equation for the Gibbs free energy?

Related to Quick question about Gibbs Free Energy

What is Gibbs Free Energy?

Gibbs Free Energy is a thermodynamic quantity that measures the amount of energy available to do useful work in a system at a constant temperature and pressure.

How is Gibbs Free Energy calculated?

Gibbs Free Energy (G) is calculated using the equation G = H - TS, where H is the enthalpy (total energy) of the system, T is the temperature in Kelvin, and S is the entropy (measure of disorder) of the system.

What is the significance of Gibbs Free Energy?

Gibbs Free Energy is important because it determines whether a chemical reaction will occur spontaneously or not. If G is negative, the reaction is spontaneous and can occur without external input of energy. If G is positive, the reaction is non-spontaneous and requires an input of energy to occur.

How does Gibbs Free Energy relate to equilibrium?

At equilibrium, the value of Gibbs Free Energy is at its minimum. This means that the system has reached a state of maximum stability and no further spontaneous change will occur.

What factors affect the value of Gibbs Free Energy?

The value of Gibbs Free Energy is affected by changes in temperature, pressure, and the concentrations of reactants and products in a system. It is also influenced by the nature of the chemical bonds and the phase of the substances involved.