Quick question about college{canada} teaching

• Thread starter Brown Arrow
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Teaching
In summary, to become a college teacher in Canada, specifically at a community college, it is common for instructors to hold at least a Masters degree in their field of expertise. However, the specific requirements may vary depending on the discipline being taught and competition for positions can be high. Unlike in the US or UK, the term "college" in Canada always refers to a community college and not a university.
Brown Arrow
what do you have to do to be a college teacher in Canada,meaning what degree do you have to hold. not uni..

edit: college in Canada does not mean university it means community colleg

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Surely this is the same everywhere in the world in that you will need to hold a PhD to teach in a university.

Brown Arrow said:
what do you have to do to be a college teacher in Canada,meaning what degree do you have to hold. not uni..

cristo said:
Surely this is the same everywhere in the world in that you will need to hold a PhD to teach in a university.

In Canada, unlike in the U.S. (and possibly the U.K.), "college" always means "community college" and never means "university".

I don't what is needed. I suspect that some, but certainly not all, college instructors in Canada have Ph.D.s.

like a masters?

George Jones said:
In Canada, unlike in the U.S. (and possibly the U.K.), "college" always means "community college" and never means "university".

"College" in the UK normally means something equivalent to the last couple of years of high school. I thought the whole of North American used College and University synonymously. Sorry! :redface:

Hi there,

From what I remember (because I left the country 11 years ago), the degree for a college teacher will vary greatly on the discipline tought. For example, you cannot expect a Interior Designer college teacher to have some kind of masters, since it does not exist.

I also remember having a friend that did a diploma in aero-engineering. I believe some of his teacher were university studied, and others not. It really depends.

What field are you looking for?

Cheers

ok so it depends on what you want to do there. unlike university. do not not play to be a college teacher, but just wondering what would you have to do. i might consider it.

Well then, I believe that the bigger the background, the more chances you have.

I can just imagine that for teaching mathematics, they will take someone with a certain background in this field. For bridge construction, they might take someone with a civil engineering background. But for car mechanics, you might need some papers/diploma, and probably a solid experience in the field.

Cheers

I think it is more about field experience rather than academics. And no a PhD is not required.

Just to clarify about the university/college/community college usage in the US:

Universities grant bachelor's degrees, usually master's degrees, and often (but not always) doctorate degrees. Universities are usually organized as a collection of Colleges. Colleges are usually comprised of Departments.

Colleges aren't always part of a bigger university, they can stand alone. Colleges are generally smaller than universities. Some will offer limited master's programs but doctorates are not usually available from small colleges.

Community colleges are two year schools where you can take the first two years of a bachelor's degree, then transfer to a university or standard college.

Sorry this is a bit off topic but the confusion between higher education systems comes up a lot.

Generally speaking, for academdic subjects like physics and mathematics at a community colleges they will be looking for a minimum of a master's degree in the subject or a closely-related discipline.

It's worth noting that these positions can be competative, so a master's degree alone will not guarantee you a spot. Usually they will also want to see some evidence of teaching proficiency and will often prefer PhD holders.

Hi there,

lisab said:
Sorry this is a bit off topic but the confusion between higher education systems comes up a lot.

I don't find this off topic at all. As a matter of fact, when you get to travel in different countries, you find the school system so different from one another. Eventhough the names often stays the same.

To add to your comment, but for the Canadian system, up to the end of high school is more or less the same as in the US. After high school, options are foreseen: University which offers normally a very strict academic cursus, for which you get a bachelor, masters, and doctorate. For the more technical fields, community colleges can be followed to get a diploma/paper recognizing that you have completed a degree in this field. When I say more technical, I mean anything ranging from plumbing/mechanics to sound engineers, or interior designer. Depending on the college, different classes and diplomas are offered. It is also often at the community college that high school diplomas can be finished, for the ones that had a hard time with it.

For the moment, I live in Switzerland. This system is again completely different. We don't have high school in that sense. Already at the age of 14-15, the students have to decide what they want for there future. And they will be redirected immediately to the correct schools.

Anyway, thought it would add some to the discussion.

Cheers

I live in Edmonton, AB, Canada. My understanding is that here, depending on the community college, many science instructors hold at least an Masters in science. Although, you should probably browse a few community college websites and find their instructors pages. See what level of education most of them have. Graduate work definitely gives you a competitive edge but it is also a lot of time and commitment. You have to really want it.

Related to Quick question about college{canada} teaching

1. What qualifications are required to become a college teacher in Canada?

To become a college teacher in Canada, you typically need a minimum of a master's degree in the subject area you wish to teach. Some colleges may also require a PhD or professional experience in addition to a master's degree. You may also need to have teaching experience or complete a teaching certificate program.

2. How much can I expect to earn as a college teacher in Canada?

The salary for college teachers in Canada varies depending on the specific institution, subject area, and level of experience. On average, the salary ranges from $50,000 to $100,000 per year. However, top professors with extensive experience and in-demand subjects can earn over $150,000 per year.

3. What is the teaching style like in Canadian colleges?

Teaching styles in Canadian colleges can vary depending on the institution and subject area. However, most colleges focus on a combination of lectures, discussions, and hands-on learning experiences. Many also incorporate technology and online resources into their teaching methods.

4. Are there opportunities for research and professional development as a college teacher in Canada?

Yes, many Canadian colleges offer opportunities for research and professional development for their teachers. This can include funding for research projects, attending conferences and workshops, and participating in teaching and learning seminars. Some colleges may also offer sabbatical leave for research and professional development.

5. Do I need to be bilingual to teach in a Canadian college?

The language requirements for teaching in Canadian colleges vary depending on the province and institution. In some cases, knowledge of both English and French may be preferred, especially for teaching positions in Quebec. However, in most cases, fluency in English is the main requirement for teaching in Canadian colleges.