Can you guys help me with a physics question?

• Thread starter daodude1987
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, to predict and prove an object's motion, one can use Newton's Laws of Motion and the appropriate force laws for the object in question. This includes the Gravitational, Electrostatic, Friction, and Tension force laws. By knowing the mass of the object, the forces acting on it, and its initial velocity, one can calculate its acceleration and predict its motion at any given time.
daodude1987
Can you guys help me with a physics question? What theories, laws, forumlas, equations, etc. can be used to prove and predict an object's motion? Can you guys please include an example also? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
A good place to start would be a google search for "Newton's Laws of Motion".

What theories, laws, forumlas, equations, etc. can be used to prove and predict an object's motion?

At this level is convenient to classify "objects" as:
Particles; Rigid bodies; and other("loose")"systems of particles".

We will, for simplicity, assume the "object" to be a particle.

Newtons laws will give you the acceleration of a particle, GIVEN the mass of the particle and all the forces acting on the particle.

The forces acting on a particle depend on (1) the properties of our particle and (2) the objects "around" our particle,their properties, and their distances from our particle.
If these (1) and (2) are available,the force on our particle can be obtained from the set of "FORCE LAWS", partly listed below:
The Gravitational Force Law
The Electrostatic Force Law
The Friction Force Laws
The Tension Force Laws

Once you get the acceleration of a particle,knowing its INITIAL velocity, you can find the velocity at any subsequent instant of time

1. How do I solve a physics problem?

There are several steps to solving a physics problem. First, identify the known and unknown variables. Then, use the appropriate equations and principles to create an expression for the unknown variable. Finally, solve for the unknown variable using algebraic manipulation.

2. What resources can help me with my physics question?

There are many resources available to help with physics questions. Some options include textbooks, online tutorials, physics forums, and asking a teacher or tutor for assistance.

3. How do I check if my answer to a physics problem is correct?

To check if your answer is correct, you can plug it back into the original equation and see if it makes sense. You can also compare your answer to known values or use a calculator to verify the numerical value.

4. What are common mistakes to avoid when solving a physics problem?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving a physics problem include using incorrect units, forgetting to convert units, and making errors in algebraic manipulation. It's also important to double-check your work and make sure all steps are clearly shown.

5. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in physics?

To improve your problem-solving skills in physics, it's important to practice regularly and work through a variety of problems. You can also try breaking down complicated problems into smaller, more manageable steps and seeking help when needed.