Quick modulus question - complex exponential function

I really appreciate it!In summary, the magnitude of the exponential of z^n is less than e if the magnitude of z is less than 1. This can be shown by expanding z^n using the binomial expansion and considering the real and absolute values.
buckylomax
What is |exp (z^n)| less than if |z| < 1? I'm thinking it's e but I'm having a brain freeze at the moment! Thanks for any help guys.

Physics news on Phys.org
put z=a+ib then expand \(\displaystyle (a+ib)^n\) using the binomial expansion ...

buckylomax said:
What is |exp (z^n)| less than if |z| < 1? I'm thinking it's e but I'm having a brain freeze at the moment! Thanks for any help guys.

Welcome to MHB, buckylomax! :)

That sounds fine to me.

\(\displaystyle |\exp(z^n)| = \exp(\Re(z^n)) \le \exp(|z^n|) = \exp(|z|^n) < \exp(1^n) = e\)

I like Serena said:
Welcome to MHB, buckylomax! :)

That sounds fine to me.

\(\displaystyle |\exp(z^n)| = \exp(\Re(z^n)) \le \exp(|z^n|) = \exp(|z|^n) < \exp(1^n) = e\)

That's what I was thinking but I just couldn't articulate it to the end. I think I broke my brain because I've been studying complex analysis for the past 8 hours (Puke)

Thanks a lot for the help.

Last edited by a moderator:

Great question! The quick modulus question you have posed involves the complex exponential function, which is given by exp(z) = e^z. The modulus, or absolute value, of a complex number z is denoted by |z| and is equal to the distance of z from the origin on the complex plane. In this case, we are looking for the modulus of the complex exponential function exp(z^n) where n is any integer.

Now, let's consider the condition |z| < 1. This means that the absolute value of z is less than 1, which can also be interpreted as z lying within the unit circle on the complex plane. In other words, z is closer to the origin than it is to any other point on the complex plane.

With this in mind, we can see that for any complex number z lying within the unit circle, the value of exp(z) will also lie within the unit circle. This is because as z gets closer to the origin, e^z gets closer to 1, and as z gets further away from the origin, e^z gets larger and larger. Therefore, the modulus of exp(z) will always be less than or equal to 1.

Now, let's apply this concept to the complex exponential function exp(z^n). Since n is an integer, we can think of this function as repeatedly multiplying exp(z) by itself n times. Therefore, the value of exp(z^n) will also lie within the unit circle for any complex number z lying within the unit circle. This means that the modulus of exp(z^n) will always be less than or equal to 1.

In conclusion, the answer to your question is that |exp(z^n)| is always less than or equal to 1 if |z| < 1. This is because the complex exponential function exp(z^n) maps any complex number z within the unit circle onto a point within the unit circle, resulting in a modulus that is always less than or equal to 1. I hope this helps to clarify your understanding. Keep up the great thinking!

Related to Quick modulus question - complex exponential function

1. What is the definition of a complex exponential function?

A complex exponential function is a mathematical function of the form f(z) = e^z, where z is a complex number. It can also be written as f(z) = e^(x+iy) = e^x * e^(iy), where x and y are the real and imaginary parts of z, respectively.

2. How is the modulus of a complex exponential function calculated?

The modulus of a complex exponential function is calculated by taking the absolute value of the function, which is equal to e^x, where x is the real part of the complex number. In other words, the modulus of a complex exponential function is equal to its magnitude on the real number line.

3. What is the significance of the quick modulus in complex exponential functions?

The quick modulus is a simplified way to calculate the modulus of a complex exponential function. It involves taking the modulus of the real part and the modulus of the imaginary part, and then adding them together. This is useful for quickly determining the magnitude of a complex exponential function without having to perform complex calculations.

4. Can the quick modulus be used for all complex exponential functions?

No, the quick modulus can only be used for complex exponential functions of the form e^(x+iy), where x and y are real numbers. It cannot be used for other types of complex functions, such as trigonometric functions or logarithmic functions.

5. How does the complex exponential function relate to real-world applications?

The complex exponential function is commonly used in many scientific and engineering fields, such as physics, chemistry, and electrical engineering. It is used to model and analyze various natural phenomena, such as oscillations, growth and decay, and electrical circuits. It also has applications in signal processing, control systems, and quantum mechanics.