Committee combination math problem

In summary, there are 46 possible ways to choose a committee with 3 out of 4 lawyers, 1 minister, and 3 retailers, where one person must be a retailer. This is calculated by subtracting the number of committees without any retailers (C(5,3)) from the total number of committees (C(8,3)).
PiRsq
For a commitee, 3 people out of 4 lawyers, 1 minister and 3 retailers are to be chosen. 1 person in the commitee must be a retailer, how many ways are there to choose the commitee?

1st: There must be a retailer thus we have 3 choices
2nd: Out of the remaining 7 people, the possible combinations are C(7,2)

So there must be 3C(7,2) possibilities. Is it right?

Physics news on Phys.org
How many times did you count the cases with two retailers?

This problem is probably easier to solve by first solving its complement: how many committees don't have any retailers?

Then you would have 5 people remaining. I would have C(5,3). That is if there were no retailers. With retailers, I would have, C(8,3). Thus C(8,3)-C(5,3) equals 46...OMG I WISH I ONLY KNEW THAT WHEN I WAS TAKING THE TEST! I NEED MORE PRACTICE, thanks Hurkyl!:smile:

1. What is a committee combination math problem?

A committee combination math problem is a type of problem where you are given a set of objects or individuals and are asked to find all possible combinations or arrangements of those objects or individuals.

2. How do you solve a committee combination math problem?

To solve a committee combination math problem, you can use a mathematical formula or approach called combination. The formula for combination is nCr = n! / r!(n-r)!, where n is the total number of objects or individuals and r is the number of objects or individuals to be chosen for the committee.

3. What are the steps to solve a committee combination math problem?

The steps to solve a committee combination math problem are:

• Determine the total number of objects or individuals (n).
  • Determine the number of objects or individuals to be chosen for the committee (r).
  • Apply the combination formula, nCr = n! / r!(n-r)!, to find the total number of combinations.
  • Use the result to list out all possible combinations.

4. Can a committee combination math problem have repeated objects or individuals?

No, a committee combination math problem does not allow for repeated objects or individuals. Each combination must have unique objects or individuals.

5. How is a committee combination math problem different from a permutation problem?

A committee combination math problem deals with selecting objects or individuals without considering the order, while a permutation problem involves arranging objects or individuals in a specific order. In a committee combination math problem, the order of the chosen objects or individuals does not matter, but in a permutation problem, the order matters.