Quick Calculations by Shi Fengshou in English?

In summary, "Shi Fengshou Rapid Calculations" is a book written by Shi Fengshou in Chinese during the 1970s and 1980s. However, there is currently no English translation available. The website shifengshou.com provides an overview of his methods, which involve using an abacus for large arithmetic operations. Some countries even hold competitions for children using abaci. While some may see it as just a fun skill or for bragging rights, others believe it could be useful in fields like carpentry. However, not everyone sees the practicality of quick calculations.
Carpenter T
"Quick Calculations" by Shi Fengshou in English?

I'm looking for an English manual to "Shi Fengshou Rapid Calculations." Apparently the guy wrote a book in Chinese sometime between 1970 and 1980 called "Quick Calculations." However, I haven't been able to find an English translation of it. I would settle for any book about his "rapid calculation" formulas, but I haven't been able to find any in English. At his website they describe the basics of his methods:

shifengshou.com

Can anyone recommend a book with even the same ideas? I think this guy is supposed to be the original "human calculator," and if I'm going to invest time in learning a system, I want to learn the best.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I believe it has something to do with an abacus, or something similar. I think a few countries have a competition for kids where they do large arithmetic operations with abaci. There are some people that were so proficient at it they can picture an abacus in their mind and do large calculations that way.

But I mean what's the point? We have calculators

Last edited:
Feldoh said:
But I mean what's the point?

Bragging rights, like most things in life.

Werg22 said:
Bragging rights, like most things in life.

Or: Just plain fun:)

Isn't this suppose to be a math forum? Am I the only one here who would find satisfaction in knowing I could do this stuff in my head? I'm only 29, but you guys are already making me feel old.

Besides, with all the competition in carpentry, for a carpenter this kind of thing could make the difference between a pay raise or even a job. Every edge helps.

Well If i ever get stranded on an island with no working paper, I will gladly drown. If I have working paper, Ill do everything by hand if I have to, stuff your abacus, schmabacus. I don't see how quick calculations will help in Carpentry by the way...

Related to Quick Calculations by Shi Fengshou in English?

What is "Quick Calculations by Shi Fengshou"?

"Quick Calculations by Shi Fengshou" is a book written by Shi Fengshou that focuses on teaching readers how to quickly and accurately perform calculations in the English language. It covers a variety of topics such as basic arithmetic, algebra, geometry, and more.

Who is Shi Fengshou?

Shi Fengshou is the author of "Quick Calculations by Shi Fengshou" and is a renowned mathematician and educator. He has years of experience in teaching mathematics and has written several books on the subject.

What are the benefits of reading "Quick Calculations by Shi Fengshou"?

By reading "Quick Calculations by Shi Fengshou", readers can improve their calculation skills and perform calculations quickly and accurately in the English language. This can be beneficial for various fields such as science, engineering, finance, and more.

Is "Quick Calculations by Shi Fengshou" suitable for all levels of math proficiency?

Yes, "Quick Calculations by Shi Fengshou" is suitable for all levels of math proficiency. It covers basic arithmetic to more advanced topics, making it accessible for both beginners and those with more experience in math.

Can "Quick Calculations by Shi Fengshou" be used as a reference guide?

Yes, "Quick Calculations by Shi Fengshou" can be used as a reference guide for quick and accurate calculations in the English language. It is organized in a clear and concise manner, making it easy to find and use as needed.