Questopn about phase shift SHM

In summary, the question was about the phase shift in simple harmonic motion (SHM). The displacement formula was given as x(t)=x_mcos(\omega t+\phi), with an initial displacement of 0 and initial velocity in the negative x direction. It was determined that the phase constant must be \phi=\frac{\pi}{2} in order for the initial conditions to be met. Further discussion and graphing confirmed this solution.
Saladsamurai
Question about phase shift SHM

The displacement of an object is given by
[tex]x(t)=x_mcos(\omega t+\phi)[/tex]
If the inital displacement is 0 and the initial v is in the negative x direction, then the phase constant must be ___rads

I know that if x=o then the cosine of the phase must be 0
[tex]\cos(\omega t+\phi)=0[/tex]

so[tex]\omega t+\phi=\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex]

and I am stuck from here...hints?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Initial means t=0. So x(0)=xm*cos(phi). phi=pi/2 works for that. Is v(0) negative? If so then you have a solution.

Dick said:
Initial means t=0. So x(0)=xm*cos(phi). phi=pi/2 works for that. Is v(0) negative? If so then you have a solution.
v is in -x direction...that is where I am most confused, does that just mean that phi has to be negative?

It means v=dx/dt is negative at t=0.

Dick said:
It means v=dx/dt is negative at t=0.
Okay...
so if [tex]v=-\omega x_m\sin(\omega t+\phi)=-[/tex]
and x_m=+
t=0
then [tex]-\omega x_m\sin(\phi)[/tex] is negative
so sin(phi) is positive
Thus, phi=+pi/2

Does that check out?

Looks ok to me. Draw a graph of cos(x) if you don't believe me.

Dick said:
Looks ok to me. Draw a graph of cos(x) if you don't believe me.
I will...cause I don't.

No I won't...cause I do.
but I probably should so I can see the relationships...

Thanks again Dick.

Related to Questopn about phase shift SHM

What is a phase shift in simple harmonic motion?

A phase shift in simple harmonic motion (SHM) refers to the displacement of the wave from its equilibrium position. It is measured in degrees or radians and can be positive or negative depending on the direction of the displacement.

How does a phase shift affect the amplitude of an SHM?

A phase shift does not affect the amplitude of an SHM. The amplitude remains constant, and the only change is in the position of the wave. The amplitude is a measure of the maximum displacement from the equilibrium position, and this does not change with a phase shift.

What is the relationship between frequency and phase shift in SHM?

The frequency of an SHM wave is inversely proportional to the phase shift. This means that as the frequency increases, the phase shift decreases, and vice versa. This relationship can be seen in the equation for SHM: ω = 2πf, where ω is the angular frequency and f is the frequency.

How does a phase shift affect the period of an SHM?

A phase shift does not affect the period of an SHM. The period, which is the time it takes for one complete oscillation, remains the same regardless of the phase shift. The period is determined by the frequency, and since the frequency does not change with a phase shift, the period remains constant.

What factors can cause a phase shift in SHM?

There are several factors that can cause a phase shift in SHM, including changes in the amplitude, frequency, or initial conditions of the wave. Additionally, external forces or damping can also cause a phase shift in SHM. It is important to note that a phase shift can only occur in a system where there is a restoring force that brings the wave back to its equilibrium position.