Questions regarding function operations on sets.

In summary: In fact, if Y is a subset of X then there is no unique image of f^{-1}(B), as there are multiple elements y such that y^{-1}(x) = f(x).
Esran
Let F:X->Y be an arbitrary function over sets X and Y.

Why is F-1(Y) = X always true?

Suppose B1 and B2 are some subsets of Y. Why is F-1(B1 [tex]\bigcap[/tex] B2) = F-1(B1) [tex]\bigcap[/tex] F-1(B2) always true?

These aren't homework questions. I'm just curious. I saw these statements the other day, and I already know that F(X) = Y is not necessarily true, and neither is (for some subsets A1 and A2 of X) F(A1 [tex]\bigcap[/tex] A2) = F(A1) [tex]\bigcap[/tex] F(A2).

Why would the other statements always be true? It seems to me that inverse functions are just like any other functions when it comes to the two theorems I already know. Why are they different?

Physics news on Phys.org
The idea behind these is that for bijections (i.e. when an inverse exists), the same is true for the image as for the inverse image. When we have an arbitrary function (not necessarily injective or surjective) these properties go away for one direction but not the other. Why is that?

Because a function [itex]f : X \to Y[/itex] is defined to satisfy
(i) Each member of [itex]X[/itex] is mapped to an element of [itex]Y[/itex].
(ii) This element of [itex]Y[/itex] is unique for each [itex]x[/itex].

Don't these sound similar to surjective and injective?
(sur) Each member of [itex]Y[/itex] is mapped to by an element of [itex]X[/itex].
(inj) This element of [itex]X[/itex] is unique for each [itex]y[/itex].

What you need to know is that [itex]f(X) = Y[/itex] if [itex]f[/itex] is surjective, and [itex]f(A \cap B) = f(A) \cap f(B)[/itex] if [itex]f[/itex] is injective.

I hope this gives you an intuitive reason why the inverse image behaves nicer in general than the image.

Esran said:
Why would the other statements always be true? It seems to me that inverse functions are just like any other functions when it comes to the two theorems I already know. Why are they different?

It seems you are confusing preimages with images of inverse functions. [tex]f^{-1}(B)[/tex] is not necessarily image of any mapping [tex]Y\to X[/tex].

Related to Questions regarding function operations on sets.

1. What are function operations on sets?

Function operations on sets refer to the ways in which we can manipulate or combine sets using mathematical functions.

2. What are the different types of function operations on sets?

The main types of function operations on sets are union, intersection, complement, and Cartesian product.

3. How do you perform a union operation on two sets?

To perform a union operation on two sets, we combine all the elements from both sets and remove any duplicates. The resulting set will contain all the elements from both original sets.

4. What is the difference between union and intersection operations?

Union operations combine sets and include all elements from both sets, while intersection operations only include the elements that are present in both sets.

5. Can you use function operations on infinite sets?

Yes, function operations can be used on infinite sets as long as the sets are well-defined and the operations follow the rules of set theory.