Questions regarding equation for circular mode frequency

In summary, the circular mode frequency for an open-ended pipe can be determined using the equation f = (t/(2*d^2))*SQRT(E/density), where f is the frequency, E is the modulus of elasticity, d is the mean diameter, and t is the wall thickness. The frequency is in radians per second and can be converted to cycles per second by dividing by 2*pi. The same conversion applies to the equation for determining transverse waves in a pipe with free ends, which is fn=pi*vKm^2/8L^2, where v is the speed of sound, Y is Young's modulus, r is density, K is a constant, a and b are radii, L is
GenSoft3d
I'm trying to determine the circular mode frequency for an open-ended pipe using the following equation and could use some clarification:

f = (t/(2*d^2))*SQRT(E/density)

f - frequency
E - modulus of elasticity
d - mean diameter
t - wall thickness

My first question is; do I need to multiply the values inside the SQRT by gravity (386.4 in/sec2) in order to get the correct units for this equation?

Also, is the frequency noted here (f) referring to radian per second and will I need to divide it by 2*pi in order to convert it to cycles per second?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
It has the right units as it is. The part with the square root is the speed of sound in the material of the pipe.

GenSoft3d said:
My first question is; do I need to multiply the values inside the SQRT by gravity (386.4 in/sec2) in order to get the correct units for this equation?

You need to use consistent units. SI units (kg/m^3 and Pascals) are consistent. Units that mix up "pounds mass" and "pounds force" are not.

Also, is the frequency noted here (f) referring to radian per second and will I need to divide it by 2*pi in order to convert it to cycles per second?
Yes.

Thanks so much for the help on this... I really appreciate it!

I may be asking the same question twice but can you verify for me if I need to apply the same freq conversion for Hz (/2*pi) to the following equation used to determine transverse waves in a pipe with free ends?

fn=pi*vKm^2/8L^2

where:

v= √ (Y/r)
Y= Young's modulus
r= density
K= 1/2 * √ (a^2 + b^2)
a= inside radii
b= outside radii
L= length
m= 3.0112, 5, 7...(2n+1)

GenSoft3d said:
Thanks so much for the help on this... I really appreciate it!

I may be asking the same question twice but can you verify for me if I need to apply the same freq conversion for Hz (/2*pi) to the following equation used to determine transverse waves in a pipe with free ends?

fn=pi*vKm^2/8L^2

where:

v= √ (Y/r)
Y= Young's modulus
r= density
K= 1/2 * √ (a^2 + b^2)
a= inside radii
b= outside radii
L= length
m= 3.0112, 5, 7...(2n+1)
This gives the frequency in hertz, according to Ross - Percussion instruments.

Related to Questions regarding equation for circular mode frequency

1. What is the equation for circular mode frequency?

The equation for circular mode frequency is f = (1/2π) x √(T/μ), where f is the frequency, T is the tension in the string, and μ is the linear density of the string.

2. How is circular mode frequency related to other wave properties?

Circular mode frequency is related to other wave properties, such as wavelength and speed, through the equation f = v/λ, where v is the speed of the wave and λ is the wavelength.

3. What does circular mode frequency represent?

Circular mode frequency represents the number of complete revolutions or cycles that occur in a circular wave in a given time period.

4. How can the equation for circular mode frequency be applied in real-life situations?

The equation for circular mode frequency can be applied in various real-life situations, such as calculating the frequency of vibrations in a guitar string or determining the resonant frequency of a circular drum.

5. Are there any limitations to the equation for circular mode frequency?

Yes, the equation for circular mode frequency assumes that the string or medium being analyzed is under ideal conditions, such as being perfectly elastic and having no damping or external forces acting on it.