Questions regarding a paradox.

• Thread starter YouLepton
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Paradox
In summary, the conversation is about the speaker's musings on time travel and a paradox involving two pencils occupying the same space in different points in time. The other person responds by stating that this type of discussion is not suitable for the forum and is considered philosophical speculation. They suggest that the speaker read the forum guidelines and participate in other discussions to expand their understanding.

What do you think happens when a paradox occurs?

• Universal Consistency

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Many Worlds

• Annihilation

• Other

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
YouLepton
I sit in math class everyday and wonder what would happen if I were to send my pencil, which has been sitting still on my desk for sometime now, back in time so that my future pencil occupies the same space as my past pencil. Obviously this is a paradox because if the pencils annihilate each other then the past pencil won't exist to destroy itself after traveling back in time. Each time I ask myself this question I come to the same conclusion, it's many worlds rule or universal consistency. What thoughts do you have?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PhysicsForums, YouLepton!

Your question/poll really doesn't belong in this forum. This isn't a suitable topic for discussion because you are assuming science which has never been demonstrated. Basically, it is philosophical speculation: time travel paradoxes assume a form of time travel which does not exist within standard physics. And discussion of speculative ideas are not allowed here.

You might want to read the forum guidelines and read more threads so you can get a better idea of how to best use PhysicsForums. We hope you can use the site to expand your understanding.

Related to Questions regarding a paradox.

1. What is a paradox?

A paradox is a statement or situation that contains contradictory or seemingly impossible elements. It is often used to challenge our understanding of logic and reality.

2. What are some examples of paradoxes?

Some famous examples of paradoxes include the liar paradox, which states "this statement is false," and the grandfather paradox, which involves time travel and changing the past.

3. How do paradoxes challenge our understanding of reality?

Paradoxes force us to question our assumptions and beliefs about what is true and possible. They often reveal flaws in our logic and can lead to new ways of thinking about the world.

4. Can paradoxes be resolved?

There is no definitive answer to this question. Some paradoxes can be resolved through further examination and clarification, while others may remain unsolvable and continue to challenge our understanding.

5. What is the importance of studying paradoxes?

Studying paradoxes can help us develop critical thinking skills and challenge our preconceptions about the world. They also play a significant role in various fields, such as philosophy, mathematics, and science, and can lead to new discoveries and breakthroughs.