Questions out of curiosity… Enlighten me please

• Thread starter ~DarkAngel
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Curiosity
In summary, asking questions out of curiosity allows us to expand our knowledge and understanding, benefit us by leading to new discoveries and innovations, and there is no such thing as a stupid question when asking out of curiosity. To encourage curiosity and asking questions, it is important to create a safe and open-minded environment and provide opportunities for hands-on learning. Asking questions out of curiosity can also lead to scientific breakthroughs, as it motivates scientists to explore and investigate unknown phenomena.
~DarkAngel
These questions just popped out of my head while we were gazing the sky with my friend… Can anyone please help me?

1. Are the shapes of the moon likely to be visible in the morning than in the evening? If it is, then where is the sky?
2. Are the shapes of the moon likely to be visible in the evening than in the morning? If it is, then where is the sky?
3. How long is the sun up? Is it always the same number of hours?
4. Does the sun look exactly round?
5. Does either the Big Dipper or Little Dipper, or both, move during the night? If so, in what direction?
6. In what direction do the stars around the planets move? East, west, south or north?
7. Do Venus and Saturn move in the same direction in the night sky?

I tried answering these questions:

1. No.
2. Yes. Up above, the sky is already dim and bleak and this makes us see the moon more visibly.
3. Maybe 13 hours? No, it isn’t always the same number of hours.
4. I guess not?
5. Yes. To the east, I think.
6. To the east?
7. Yes.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
What direction does the sun move in the sky?

~DarkAngel said:
These questions just popped out of my head while we were gazing the sky with my friend… Can anyone please help me?

1. Are the shapes of the moon likely to be visible in the morning than in the evening? If it is, then where is the sky?
2. Are the shapes of the moon likely to be visible in the evening than in the morning? If it is, then where is the sky?
The moon is most visible between sunset and sunrise. Where is appears, and for how long after the Sun sets or before the Sun rises depends on which phase it is in.
3. How long is the sun up? Is it always the same number of hours?
This depends on the time of year and your latitude (How far you are from the Equator. The futher North or South you are, the greater the difference between the longest period of Sun and the shortest.
4. Does the sun look exactly round?
Pretty much yes. You might get some slight flattening of its appearance as it sets, but this is due to atmospheric bending of light.
5. Does either the Big Dipper or Little Dipper, or both, move during the night? If so, in what direction?
Facing North, the Big and Little Dipper traveling in counter-clockwise circles around the North star. The little Dipper actually circles the last star in its handle, which is the North Star.
6. In what direction do the stars around the planets move? East, west, south or north?
All the stars travel in counter-clockwise circles around the North Star, the further from the North Star they are the bigger the circles. For stars far enough away to rise and set against the horizon, they will rise in the East and set in the West.
7. Do Venus and Saturn move in the same direction in the night sky?
Sometimes yes, sometimes no. That is if you mean as measured against the background stars. Ohterwise, they rise and set just like the stars do.
I tried answering these questions:

1. No.
2. Yes. Up above, the sky is already dim and bleak and this makes us see the moon more visibly.
3. Maybe 13 hours? No, it isn’t always the same number of hours.
4. I guess not?
5. Yes. To the east, I think.
6. To the east?
7. Yes.

Janus said:
Pretty much yes. You might get some slight flattening of its appearance as it sets, but this is due to atmospheric bending of light.

Can I just add that the sun is slightly oblate due to its rotation pushing the material outwards, so its not perfectly round.

Related to Questions out of curiosity… Enlighten me please

1. What is the purpose of asking questions out of curiosity?

Asking questions out of curiosity allows us to expand our knowledge and understanding of the world around us. It helps us to explore new ideas, challenge assumptions, and think critically about various topics.

2. How can asking questions out of curiosity benefit us?

Asking questions out of curiosity can benefit us in many ways. It can lead to new discoveries and innovations, enhance our problem-solving skills, and improve our communication and interpersonal skills.

3. Is there such a thing as a stupid question when asking out of curiosity?

No, there is no such thing as a stupid question when asking out of curiosity. All questions are valid and can lead to valuable insights and understanding. It is important to ask questions without fear of judgment or ridicule.

4. What are some ways to encourage curiosity and asking questions?

To encourage curiosity and asking questions, it is important to create a safe and open-minded environment where individuals feel comfortable sharing their thoughts and ideas. Providing opportunities for hands-on learning and exploration can also spark curiosity and lead to more questions.

5. Can asking questions out of curiosity lead to scientific breakthroughs?

Yes, asking questions out of curiosity has led to many scientific breakthroughs throughout history. Curiosity drives scientists to explore and investigate unknown phenomena, leading to new discoveries and advancements in various fields of science.