Questions on Lenses: Projecting a Slide on a Screen

• Thread starter Obama
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lenses
In summary, the conversation discusses the projection of a slide on a screen and the appearance of letters on the slide when projected. The Homework Equations section mentions the use of converging and diverging lenses in projectors. The Attempt at a Solution section asks about the possibility of forming a virtual image on a screen and the correct type of image needed to appear on a screen. The response confirms that a virtual image cannot be formed on a screen, but a real image can be formed.
Obama

Homework Statement

You wish to project a slide on a screen. One of the letters on the slide is a p. When you place the slide in the projector, how much the letter look when you insert the slide(as seen from behind the projector)? Explain.

a) p
b) d
c) b
d) q

Homework Equations

How converging (convex) and Diverging (concave) lenses work.

The Attempt at a Solution

EDIT: I believe the answer is all letters will be the same because slide projectors produce images that are the same size, virtual and upright. Could someone tell me if I'm right or wrong? Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
A slide projector projects images that are formed on some kind of screen. Can you form a virtual image on a screen?

G01 said:
A slide projector projects images that are formed on some kind of screen. Can you form a virtual image on a screen?

I do believe virtual images can be shown on a screen, but I think the image would be real, because the light comes together or something like that?

A virtual image cannot be formed on a screen. In a virtual image, the light seems as if if comes from a certain point. The image is at this point. Since the light isn't actually there, a screen placed there will not show an image.

So what type of image do you want to form in order for it to appear on a screen and will it be upright or upside down?

Thanks, I got it!

Related to Questions on Lenses: Projecting a Slide on a Screen

1. How does a lens project a slide onto a screen?

A lens works by refracting, or bending, light rays that pass through it. When light from a slide passes through a lens, the lens focuses the light rays to create a magnified image on a screen. This allows for a larger and clearer image to be viewed by an audience.

2. Can any type of lens be used to project a slide onto a screen?

No, not all lenses are suitable for projecting a slide onto a screen. The most commonly used lenses for this purpose are convex lenses, which are thicker in the middle and thinner at the edges. These lenses are able to focus light rays and produce a clear image on a screen.

3. How do you adjust the focus of a projected image?

To adjust the focus of a projected image, you can move the lens closer or further away from the screen. This changes the distance between the lens and the screen, which affects the way the light rays are refracted and the clarity of the image on the screen.

4. What is the difference between a positive and negative lens?

A positive lens, also known as a convex lens, curves outward and causes light rays to converge. A negative lens, also known as a concave lens, curves inward and causes light rays to diverge. Positive lenses are typically used for projecting slides onto a screen, while negative lenses have other uses such as correcting vision.

5. How can you minimize distortion when projecting a slide onto a screen?

To minimize distortion, it is important to use a high-quality lens and to ensure that the lens is properly aligned and focused. Additionally, using a flat and smooth screen, as well as keeping the projector and screen in a straight line, can also help to reduce distortion. Regular maintenance and cleaning of the lens and projector can also improve the clarity of the projected image.