Questions on Ideal Gas Homework: Solving for Pressure

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of pressure using the equation PV=nRT, with given values for volume, moles, gas constant, and temperature. The proper units to use are L, mol, and K, and the conversion from atm to Pa is necessary. The conversation also includes a minor correction and a separate question about the mass of nitrogen in a cylinder at standard temperature and pressure.
!Live_4Ever!

Homework Statement

Unknown: Pressure

Given:
V: 0.002 L
n: 0.019 mol
R: 8.31 (uh..any units here..?)
T: 498 K

Homework Equations

PV= nRT

The Attempt at a Solution

For some reason, the units don't cancel out when I attempt to reach the solution when I try to get the Pressure. So what are the proper units that I need to get a proper answer? I know the answer should be in kPa, but the "K, mol, L" units don't cancel out...Help~

Physics news on Phys.org
with the given units you need to use

R=0.082058 L*atm*mol-1*K-1

and convert atm to Pa where

1 atm = 101325 Pa

Last edited:
small correction

You forgot the period between the 1 and the 3 :P
So its really 101.325 Pa

bob1182006 I'm sure you already knew this, but I'm mainly saying it so Live_4Ever! won't get confused.

Not so! Bob has the conversion correct, 1 atm is about 1e5 Pa.

Oh woops~

Sorry, i misread the units that were used...i thought it said KPa. Thanks for the correction marcusl, and sorry about that bob1182006 :biggrin:

Hi every1 there
I've a qtn troubling me !
A cylinder contains 2.0kg og Nitrogen at a pressure of 3.0x10^6 Pa and a temperature of 17 degrees ! What mass of nitrogen would a cylinder of the same mass contain at standard temperature and pressure?

shouldn't you have posted this in your own thread?

Avi1794 said:
Hi every1 there
I've a qtn troubling me !
A cylinder contains 2.0kg og Nitrogen at a pressure of 3.0x10^6 Pa and a temperature of 17 degrees ! What mass of nitrogen would a cylinder of the same mass contain at standard temperature and pressure?

If I have 25 apples, how many apples would I have if I have the same number of apples as that?

Related to Questions on Ideal Gas Homework: Solving for Pressure

1. What is an ideal gas?

An ideal gas is a theoretical gas composed of particles that have no volume and do not interact with each other. It follows the ideal gas law, which states that the pressure, volume, and temperature of an ideal gas are directly proportional to each other.

2. How do you solve for pressure in ideal gas homework?

To solve for pressure in ideal gas homework, you can use the ideal gas law formula: P = (nRT)/V. P represents pressure, n is the number of moles of gas, R is the gas constant, T is the temperature in Kelvin, and V is the volume.

3. What are the units for pressure in ideal gas homework?

The units for pressure in ideal gas homework can vary depending on the units used for other variables in the ideal gas law. However, some common units for pressure include pascals (Pa), atmospheres (atm), and millimeters of mercury (mmHg).

4. Can you solve for pressure with only two variables in the ideal gas law?

No, you need at least three out of the four variables (pressure, volume, temperature, and number of moles) to solve for pressure in the ideal gas law. If you only have two variables, you can use the ideal gas law to find the missing variable, and then solve for pressure.

5. How does pressure change in an ideal gas when temperature and volume are held constant?

According to the ideal gas law, pressure is directly proportional to temperature and inversely proportional to volume. This means that if temperature and volume are held constant, pressure will remain constant as well.