Questions on first year undergrad math courses

In summary: The professor is supposed to be teaching the material well, but it may be difficult for you because the material is new and you're not used to it.You can try to ask your professor for help, or look for supplementary materials online.
oinky
It's the middle of the semester of my first year and I'm finding this math course extremely difficult. The course is essentially teaching real analysis and they labeled the course honors calculus. I am finding the professor is not teaching the material well which made me find some supplementary books: Calculus, M Spivak and Understanding Analysis , S Abbott . I guess what I mean to ask is: is it really supposed to be this difficult or should I just not be taking this course, or is it the professor? If it is considered really difficult is there something I can do to help me understand it better? I've been reading quite a bit but when I go to the exercises I sometimes don't know where to start. A big problem is when I understand the questions and know the answers but can't turn my thoughts into a proof. Any thoughts appreciated thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what kind of answers you expect to get. How can we (strangers from the interwebz) say anything about the quality of your professor??

Did you do well in calculus in high school? Did you even take calculus in high school? If not, you're probably in the wrong class.

Edit - sorry if that sounds harsh. Welcome to PF, you can get a lot of help here if you can ask specific questions. Maybe take one of the exercises giving you trouble, and work your way through it in a separate thread here.

If you're worried that you aren't cut out for STEM or something, I wouldn't sweat it too much. It sounds like you've been benefiting from the use of an actual analysis textbook, and so I would guess that it's just a lot for a freshman without experience in upper level math classes to digest.

Yes, analysis is supposed to be difficult. It's probably the most difficult class many math majors take.

Likes Bong_Nebula

Related to Questions on first year undergrad math courses

1. What is the purpose of first year undergraduate math courses?

The purpose of first year undergraduate math courses is to provide students with a strong foundation in fundamental mathematical concepts and skills that are necessary for more advanced courses in their chosen field of study. These courses also help students develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills that are applicable in various real-world scenarios.

2. What topics are typically covered in first year undergraduate math courses?

First year undergraduate math courses usually cover topics such as algebra, trigonometry, calculus, and geometry. These courses may also include some introductory topics in statistics and probability. The specific topics covered may vary depending on the institution and program.

3. Are there any prerequisites for first year undergraduate math courses?

The prerequisites for first year undergraduate math courses may vary depending on the institution and program. However, most institutions require students to have a strong foundation in high school math, including algebra, geometry, and trigonometry. Some programs may also require students to have taken a placement or entrance exam to determine their readiness for these courses.

4. How can I succeed in first year undergraduate math courses?

To succeed in first year undergraduate math courses, it is important to attend all classes, take thorough notes, and actively participate in class discussions and activities. It is also crucial to practice regularly and seek help from professors or tutors when needed. Developing good study habits and time management skills can also greatly contribute to success in these courses.

5. What career opportunities are available for those who complete first year undergraduate math courses?

Completing first year undergraduate math courses can open up a variety of career opportunities in fields such as science, engineering, finance, data analysis, and education. These courses provide a strong foundation for further studies in these fields and can also lead to careers in research, teaching, and other math-related professions.