Questions on Chapter 67: Understanding the Limit and Contact Terms

In summary, the questions asked in this conversation are related to a chapter in a book. The first question is about a limit that is imposed in equation (67.4) and why it is necessary for external particles to be physical. The second question is about the Fourier transform of a contact term and why it is independent of k1-k2. The answer to the first question can be found in chapter 5, while the second question can be solved by integrating over x1 and x2.
LAHLH
Hi,

Just have a few questions about this chapter if anyone here is familiar with it...

1) Does anyone know why the [tex]k^2_i \to -m^2 [/tex] limit is imposed in (67.4), is it just because he wants external particles to be physical and hence on-shell? I derived this equation from the one directly above by integrating by parts but can't see where the limit comes out here but is not present there..

2) On the next page where he supposes a contact term with a factor [tex] \delta^4 (x_1-x_2)[/tex] why does this Fourier transform to a function of [tex] k_1+k_2 [/tex] independent of [tex] k_1-k_2[/tex]. I know this is a rather basic question, but I can't seem to make it work out, so would be grateful if someone could show me. Secondly why does this exclude it from being of the form of singular term in (67.7)?

thanks a lot for any help

Physics news on Phys.org
1) k^2 = -m^2 already in 67.3; see ch. 5.

2) Integrate e^(i k1 x1)e^(i k2 x2) delta^4(x1-x2) F(x1,x2) over x2, where F(x1,x2) is any smooth function. The result is e^(i(k1+k2)x1) F(x1,x1). Integrating over x1 yields a function of k1+k2.

Related to Questions on Chapter 67: Understanding the Limit and Contact Terms

1. What is the significance of understanding the limit and contact terms in science?

The concept of limit and contact terms is crucial in science because it helps us understand the boundaries and constraints of a system. It allows us to determine the extent to which a phenomenon can occur and the conditions under which it can occur.

2. How does the understanding of limit and contact terms impact scientific experiments?

Limit and contact terms help scientists design and conduct experiments with precision and accuracy. By understanding the limits and constraints of a system, scientists can control variables and ensure that their results are reliable and valid.

3. Can you give an example of a limit and contact term in a scientific study?

One example is the limit of detection in analytical chemistry. This is the lowest concentration of a substance that can be reliably measured by an instrument. It is important to know this limit when conducting experiments to ensure accurate results.

4. How can understanding limit and contact terms aid in problem-solving in science?

By understanding the limits and constraints of a system, scientists can identify potential issues or limitations in their research. This allows them to find solutions or workarounds to overcome these obstacles and continue their investigation.

5. Are limit and contact terms always fixed or can they change?

Limit and contact terms can change depending on the context or conditions of a system. For example, the limit of detection in analytical chemistry can be affected by factors such as instrument sensitivity or sample preparation methods. It is important for scientists to consider these variations when interpreting their results.