Questions on Capacitors Concepts: Battery Charging, Electric Fields, Work Done

In summary: Basically, the electric field between the two plates affects how much work is required to move the charge from one plate to the other. The more electric field there is, the more work is required.
easwar2641993
I have several questions about capacitor's concepts.
Q1)What does battery really do in charging a capacitor?
Q2)Uncharged capacitor doesn't mean the plates don't have any charges?
Q3)During charging,the developing electric field between the plates does have any effect in charging?
Q4)When charging is progressed,battery has to do more and more work until the potential difference becomes same.Is this right?

Energy stored in a capacitor of capacitance C:Let small work done dW to move a charge dq from one plate to another plate.Then at an instant let V be the potential difference of the capacitor and q be the charge in the plates.
=> dW=V.dq =>dW=q/C.dq
=>Integrating the above equation by q=0 to q=Q,then we get W=(Q^2*C)/2
I don't understand this derivation. Does a charge actually move from one plate to another within capacitor?

There is another derivation which also I cannot understand.It is about moving a plate by a small distance and calculating work.But I don't understand why someone moves that plate to move by about a small distance.Also it says electric field acting on one plate is σ/2ε and not σ/ε.Because one plate is held stationary and the other is moving .So it experiences attractive force of the other plate and it's own attraction to the other plate.And while determining the force, the latter term should be used right?

I am sorry but I am pretty weak in Physics.

Physics news on Phys.org
It leads to net charges (of same magnitude and opposite sign) on both plates of the capacitor.
Uncharged capacitors do not have (net) charges on their plates (to a very good approximation).
Q3)During charging,the developing electric field between the plates does have any effect in charging?
Depends on your view of "have any effect". The electric field is related to the voltage in the capacitor, which can influence the charging process.
Q4)When charging is progressed,battery has to do more and more work until the potential difference becomes same.Is this right?
During the whole charging process, energy is transferred to the capacitor.
Does a charge actually move from one plate to another within capacitor?
Not through the gap (in an ideal capacitor), but you can consider this as an option. Charge can move through cables if you connect both sides.
But I don't understand why someone moves that plate to move by about a small distance.
Why not?
So it experiences attractive force of the other plate and it's own attraction to the other plate.
That is the same attraction.

It pulls charges out from one plate and pushes same type of charges onto the other plate.

A neutral plate has an equal amount of plus and minus charge, we often call that an uncharged plate. If two batteries have pushed the same minus charge onto both plates, we might say the capacitor is charged, or we might just as well say the capacitor is uncharged.

When some charge has been pushed onto a plate, pushing more charge requires more force, and therefore more energy.

To charge an almost empty capacitor a battery could use a very small voltage, if batteries could adjust their voltage.

Energy stored in a capacitor of capacitance C:Let small work done dW to move a charge dq from one plate to another plate.Then at an instant let V be the potential difference of the capacitor and q be the charge in the plates.
=> dW=V.dq =>dW=q/C.dq
=>Integrating the above equation by q=0 to q=Q,then we get W=(Q^2*C)/2
I don't understand this derivation. Does a charge actually move from one plate to another within capacitor?
One way to charge a capacitor is to take a charge from a plate and put it onto other plate.

Other way is to take a charge from a plate and store it somewhere, and take a charge from somewhere else and put that onto the other plate.

There is another derivation which also I cannot understand.It is about moving a plate by a small distance and calculating work.But I don't understand why someone moves that plate to move by about a small distance.Also it says electric field acting on one plate is σ/2ε and not σ/ε.Because one plate is held stationary and the other is moving .So it experiences attractive force of the other plate and it's own attraction to the other plate.And while determining the force, the latter term should be used right?

Well that just sounds all wrong.

Last edited:

Related to Questions on Capacitors Concepts: Battery Charging, Electric Fields, Work Done

1. What is a capacitor?

A capacitor is an electronic component that is used to store electrical energy in an electric field. It consists of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material known as a dielectric.

2. How does a capacitor charge a battery?

When a capacitor is connected to a battery, the battery supplies electrons to one of the plates, causing it to become negatively charged. At the same time, the other plate becomes positively charged. This creates an electric field between the plates that stores energy, which can then be used to charge a battery.

3. What is the role of electric fields in capacitors?

Electric fields are the key component of capacitors. They are created by the separation of positive and negative charges on the two plates of a capacitor. The electric field stores energy, which can be released when needed.

4. How is work done in a capacitor?

Work is done in a capacitor when it is being charged or discharged. This is because energy is being transferred from the battery to the capacitor, or vice versa. The work done is equal to the change in energy stored in the capacitor.

5. How can we calculate the capacitance of a capacitor?

The capacitance of a capacitor can be calculated using the formula C = Q/V, where C is the capacitance in farads, Q is the charge on the plates, and V is the voltage difference between the plates. It can also be calculated using the formula C = εA/d, where ε is the permittivity of the dielectric material, A is the area of the plates, and d is the distance between the plates.