Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Questions on basic axioms

nacho

Sep 10, 2013
Please refer to the attached image.

for problem 1a)
i can see how this makes intuitive sense, however the hint confuses me.

When we are told that $A_n \subset A_{n+1}$ why would the hint say to attempt to express $A$ as as a union of countably many disjoint sets, when it is defined not to be disjoint in the question?

$P(A) = P(A_1) + ... + P(A_n)$ as $n$ approaches $\infty$

Attachments

chisigma

Feb 13, 2012
Please refer to the attached image.

for problem 1a)
i can see how this makes intuitive sense, however the hint confuses me.

When we are told that $A_n \subset A_{n+1}$ why would the hint say to attempt to express $A$ as as a union of countably many disjoint sets, when it is defined not to be disjoint in the question?

$P(A) = P(A_1) + ... + P(A_n)$ as $n$ approaches $\infty$

If $A_n \subset A_{n+1}$ then $\cup_{n=1}^{N} A_{n} = A_{N}$ and that means that the sets $A_{n}$ aren't disjoint...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

nacho

Sep 10, 2013
yes, but the question says to "Express $A$ as a union of countably many disjoint sets".

i don't understand why though.

chisigma

Feb 13, 2012
yes, but the question says to "Express $A$ as a union of countably many disjoint sets".

i don't understand why though.
I also don't understand (Emo) ...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Evgeny.Makarov

MHB Math Scholar
Jan 30, 2012
The hint says so because for disjoint sets you can apply the axiom of σ-additivity. Yes,$A_n$ are not disjoint, so you have to define sets that are. Consider $B_n=A_n\setminus\bigcup_{k=1}^{n-1}A_k$. Then $B_n$ are mutually disjoint, $A_n=\bigcup_{k=1}^{n}B_k$ and $\bigcup_{n=1}^\infty A_n=\bigcup_{n=1}^\infty B_n$. Using these properties and σ-additivity, complete the following equality.

\[
P(A)=P(\bigcup_{n=1}^\infty A_n)= \dots=\lim_{n\to\infty}\sum_{k=1}^n P(B_k) =\dots=\lim_{n\to\infty}P(A_n)
\]