Questions for an aspiring physicist

• Physics
  • Thread starter gregy521
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physicist
In summary, the conversation is about a 16-year-old who is interested in pursuing a career in physics. They mention their current interest in science, particularly in advanced topics like particle spin and advanced mathematics. They plan on studying Maths, further maths, physics and computer science in college and hope to become a professor at a university. They are aware that getting tenure is difficult but it is their dream. They have questions about the life of a physicist, minimum salary, and the pros and cons of academia, industry, and government. They also ask for suggestions on where to talk to physicists and get more information.
gregy521
I'm currently 16, pretty young to be thinking about my future like this I know, but I really like science. Not so much experimental but that might change seeing as how the only ones I do right now are really really basic and don't interest me at all.

But that's not to say I don't like science. The complete opposite. I'm looking at much more interesting topics like particle spin, strangeness, projectile motion, classical mechanics and a large amount of advanced mathematics.

I'm going into college next year (UK) And taking Maths, further maths, physics and computer science, and I want to end up getting tenure at a University as a professor. (I know what you're thinking, "YOU'RE CRAZY! NOBODY GETS TENURE!" and it's a dream, not necessarily a reality) which means getting a bachelors, masters, doctorate and postdoc experience. I just want to know,

• What is life as a physicist like in general?
  • What is the salary like as a minimum? (I'm not in it for the money by the way)
  • Academia, Industry or Government pros and cons?
  • Where would I go to talk to physicists and ask more questions like this?

Physics news on Phys.org
gregy521 said:
I'm currently 16, pretty young to be thinking about my future like this I know, but I really like science. Not so much experimental but that might change seeing as how the only ones I do right now are really really basic and don't interest me at all.

But that's not to say I don't like science. The complete opposite. I'm looking at much more interesting topics like particle spin, strangeness, projectile motion, classical mechanics and a large amount of advanced mathematics.

I'm going into college next year (UK) And taking Maths, further maths, physics and computer science, and I want to end up getting tenure at a University as a professor. (I know what you're thinking, "YOU'RE CRAZY! NOBODY GETS TENURE!" and it's a dream, not necessarily a reality) which means getting a bachelors, masters, doctorate and postdoc experience. I just want to know,

• What is life as a physicist like in general?
  • What is the salary like as a minimum? (I'm not in it for the money by the way)
  • Academia, Industry or Government pros and cons?
  • Where would I go to talk to physicists and ask more questions like this?
Have a look through some of the PF Education Insights articles about physics:

https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/category/education/

See especially the "So you want to be a Physicist" series on page 2 of that set of Insights... :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Questions for an aspiring physicist

1. What skills are necessary to become a successful physicist?

To become a successful physicist, one must have a strong foundation in mathematics, critical thinking and problem-solving skills, attention to detail, curiosity, and persistence.

2. What is the typical educational path for an aspiring physicist?

Most aspiring physicists pursue a bachelor's degree in physics or a related field, followed by a master's degree and a doctoral degree in physics. Some may also choose to pursue a postdoctoral research position.

3. What are the job prospects for physicists?

The job prospects for physicists are excellent, with opportunities in research and development, academia, government, and the private sector. The demand for physicists is expected to grow in industries such as technology, healthcare, and energy.

4. What are some common misconceptions about physics and physicists?

Some common misconceptions about physics and physicists include the belief that it is a difficult and inaccessible field, that all physicists work in academia, and that all physicists only focus on theoretical concepts. In reality, physics is a diverse and practical field with many applications in daily life.

5. How can I get involved in physics research as an undergraduate student?

There are many ways to get involved in physics research as an undergraduate student, such as joining a research group at your university, participating in summer research programs, or attending conferences and workshops. It is also helpful to network with professors and graduate students to learn about research opportunities.