Questions based on derivation of electrical potential energy

In summary: That way someone can check to see if the author is just wrong.This configuration of two charges is associated with a potential energy U1. When the separation is changed to r2, the potential energy becomes U2. In summary, the potential energy between two charges can be calculated using the formula U = \frac{1}{4πε0} \frac{q_1q_2}{r} where r is the separation distance and U is the potential energy. The limits of integration in the formula for calculating work done are arbitrary and do not necessarily reflect the actual values of r1 and r2. The author may have made a mistake in using r2 instead of r1 in the final equation, but the overall concept remains
gracy
Consider a system of two charges ## q_1## and ##q_2## separated by distance ##r_1##.This configuration is associated with a potential energy ##U_1##.When the separation is increased to ##r_2##.Potential energy becomes ##U_2##

diag.png

##dW_E##=##\vec{F}##.##\vec{dr}##

##dW_E##=##Fdrcos0##=##\frac{1}{4πε0}\frac{q_1q_2}{r^2}##dr

⇒##W_E##=##\int_{r_1}^{r_2}####\frac{1}{4πε0}####\frac{q_1q_2}{r^2}##dr

##W_E##=##\frac{-q_1q_2}{4πε0}####[\frac{1}{r_2}##-##\frac{1}{r_1}]##

By definition of potential energy ,

##U_2##-##U_1##=##-W_E##

⇒##U_2##-##U_1##=##\frac{q_1q_2}{4πε0}####[\frac{1}{r_2}##-##\frac{1}{r_1}]##

Taking infinity as reference i.e ##r_1##=∞ and ##U_1##=0

⇒##U_2##-0=##\frac{q_1q_2}{4πε0}####[\frac{1}{r_2}##-##\frac{1}{∞}]##

⇒##U_2##=##\frac{1}{4πε0}####\frac{q_1q_2}{r^2}##

Taking ##U_2##=##U## and ##r_2##=##r_1##

##U##=##\frac{1}{4πε0}####\frac{q_1q_2}{r}##

I want to ask as we can see ##r_2 ##is >##r_1##

and then problem assumes ##r_1## to be ∞ my question is what is ##r2## then?how can ##r_2## be greater than ##r_1##?How can any number be greater than infinity?

Physics news on Phys.org
The only place where I see an assumption that r2 > r1 is in the limits of integration in ##W_E =\int_{r_1}^{r_2} \frac{1}{4πε0}\frac{q_1q_2}{r^2}dr##

But that is not an assumption that r2 > r1. You can evaluate an integral from a larger endpoint to a smaller. The result is the negative of the same integral evaluated from smaller to larger.

gracy said:
I want to ask as we can see ##r_2 ##is >##r_1##

This is what we see looking at the figure, yes.

and then problem assumes ##r_1## to be ∞

Yes, now they want you to imagine increasing ##r_1## so that it's not only bigger than ##r_2## but bigger than any value of ##r## you can imagine.

my question is what is ##r2## then?

They replaced ##r_2## with ##r##, meaning that instead of thinking of it as a fixed value for the separation distance, it's now thought of as a variable.

how can ##r_2## be greater than ##r_1##?

It can't. Very poorly authored example, if you ask me.

Mister T said:
Yes, now they want you to imagine increasing ##r_1## so that it's not only bigger than ##r_2## but bigger than any value of ##r## you can imagine.
But they don't want to increase ##r_1## such that distance between them becomes greater than ##r_2## instead they want to increase ##r_1## such that distance between them becomes ##r_2##

gracy said:
But they don't want to increase ##r_1## such that distance between them becomes greater than ##r_2## instead they want to increase ##r_1## such that distance between them becomes ##r_2##
Unless you have mistyped the final equation, it contains r, not r1. So it's a misprint: they mean replacing r2 with r.

haruspex said:
So it's a misprint: they mean replacing r2 with r.
Yes.

gracy said:
how can ##r_2## be greater than ##r_1##?
It isn't. When you write an integral from a to b, there is no requirement for b to be greater than a:
##\int_a^bf(x)dx = -\int_b^af(x)dx##

Likes gracy
haruspex said:
When you write an integral from a to b, there is no requirement for b to be greater than a:
Yes,you have told me once.Upper and lower limit just indicate final and initial positions but this line confused me
gracy said:
When the separation is increased to ##r_2##

gracy said:
Yes,you have told me once.Upper and lower limit just indicate final and initial positions but this line confused me
Ok, but the equation is valid either way. With hindsight, the author might have preferred to write "changed to r2".

Likes gracy
I can also refer to this http://aakashtestguru.com/document/askExpert/08-10-2015-18:26:171608102015DP.pdf
for derivation of potential energy between the two charges ,right?

Last edited by a moderator:
gracy said:
But they don't want to increase ##r_1## such that distance between them becomes greater than ##r_2##

Is this another typo then?

gracy said:
Taking infinity as reference i.e ##r_1##=∞ and ##U_1##=0

I suggest you present the entire example, as it was written by the author, along with a reference to the text you are quoting from.

Related to Questions based on derivation of electrical potential energy

What is electrical potential energy and how is it derived?

Electrical potential energy is the energy that a charged particle possesses due to its position in an electric field. It is derived from the work done in moving a charged particle from one point to another against the electric force.

What is the formula for calculating electrical potential energy?

The formula for calculating electrical potential energy is given by U = qV, where U represents the potential energy, q is the charge of the particle, and V is the potential difference between the two points.

How does the distance between two charged particles affect their electrical potential energy?

The electrical potential energy between two charged particles is directly proportional to the distance between them. As the distance increases, the potential energy decreases, and vice versa.

Can electrical potential energy be negative?

Yes, electrical potential energy can be negative. This occurs when the two charged particles have opposite charges, resulting in a negative value for the potential energy.

What is the difference between electrical potential energy and electric potential?

Electrical potential energy is a measure of the energy that a charged particle possesses in an electric field, while electric potential is a measure of the potential energy per unit charge at a specific point in an electric field.