Questions about vacuum tube data sheets

In summary: This is the transformer reflected anode load that each tube "sees" and drives into. It is shown on Page 2, the curve called "Average Anode Characteristics" and is represented by the load line.So yes, you could also say it is Zout, or the output impedance of the tube. However, it is specifically for use in a push-pull configuration with an output transformer.In summary, the data sheet for the commonly used 6l6GC tube provides information on typical characteristics, including the Ra and Ra-a values. Ra is the internal Plate Resistance of the tube, while Ra-a is the primary impedance of the output transformer used in push-pull operation. Both of these values are important in calculating voltage gain
Planobilly
Hi,
Here is a typical data sheet for a commonly used 6l6GC tube.
http://www.drtube.com/datasheets/6l6gc-jj2003.pdf

Under typical characteristics (in this data sheet) a value of Ra and Ra-a are given.

I assume Ra-a means Za-a and it could also be written as Zout. Is this a correct assumption?

On a related issue, I assume the following. Output transformers for tube amps are of two types. One for single ended and one for push-pull.

Does Zout change for amps with more than two output tubes in push-pull?

Cheers,

Billy

Engineering news on Phys.org
Planobilly said:
Under typical characteristics (in this data sheet) a value of Ra and Ra-a are given.
These are the assumed anode loads in the "typical" setup. If your setup has a different value, you cannot rely on the "typical" values.

Hi Svein,

To be clear my first question was only about symbols used in data sheets and their meaning.

So..do the symbols Ra-a and Za-a and Zout have the same meaning? I assume they do.

Back in the day when we actually spoke English none of this was an issue...lol as can be seen on this RCA data sheet of the same tube number. The easy to understand term load resistance was used and stated based on plate voltage. I guess it was also assumed that one knew this value represented the output impedance of the tube based on some standard frequency.

upload_2016-6-15_12-36-10.png

Many people today use the RCA data sheets with the misguided idea that tubes of the same number and of current manufacturer have the same exact values and properties.

Thanks,

Billy

Planobilly said:
Many people today use the RCA data sheets with the misguided idea that tubes of the same number and of current manufacturer have the same exact values and properties.
Just curious, since you probably do a lot more tube equipment restores than I. Have you found that new, current manufactured tubes caused a need to modify any part of their related circuits? Also (maybe too soon to tell), do you think the quality of these new tubes are better or worse than the old one?

Luckily for me I have a fairly good stock of old tubes to draw upon.

Hi Don,
I have a very good supplier of tubes who can supply both new tubes and new old stock. I have been buying from Eddie at Eurotubes for a while now and I no longer have issues with tubes. They are hooked up with the JJ tube factory and I use JJ tubes where ever I can. I rarely have occasion to turn on my TV-10 Navy tube tester any longer.

Of the dozen or so tube manufactures left in the world my experience has been they all make good and bad tubes. In most cases it is less about brand than how well the tubes are tested.

I don't think the new tubes are made as well as the old RCA tubes for example. The last couple of years that RCA made tubes were not as good as years prior to the end of the production. There was no reason to maintain the plant and the staff at the highest level if you plan to shut it down.

Everything cost more today so tubes are made to fit the limited demand. I assume the guitar amp market is where most of the audio tubes go too now days.

I have found little reason to modify circuits as a result of lower quality new tubes. I pick certain brands for certain applications. A JJ GZ34 rectifier tube is closer to the original than a Solvtek. The Solvtek will put out about 15 Volts more than a JJ. This will cause the rectifier to have less sag and act a little more like a solid state diode rectifier which some don't like and some do. All guitar players are crazy, this includes me and perhaps especially me...lol

I sometimes use new old stock but I find that it is rarely worth the money in guitar amps. For sure a NOS RCA 7025 is a better tube than a JJ ECC83 S but at over a hundred dollars for the RCA I have detuned my ears...lol There are certain places, like in very high end microphones, where buying the best tube you can get is logical. A couple of hundred dollars for a tube is a small part of the cost of a five to ten thousand dollar microphone.

The bottom line from my perspective is to find a good tube vendor who can and will supply you what you need 99% of the time.

Eddie gives me pretty close to exactly what I ask for and test every tube he sells me to include pre amp and inverter tubes. All the power tubes I get from them in matched quad sets run within two to three mA. 5mA is the excepted standard and few production amps hold to that standard now days.

Tubes have always been a problem from day one till now, they cost too much, there too hard to make, they don't live a long and happy life, they use too much power, and produce too much heat. Having said that, I don't think they will be going away anytime soon.

Cheers,

Billy

Likes dlgoff
Planobilly said:
I assume Ra-a means Za-a and it could also be written as Zout. Is this a correct assumption?
After reading the data sheet and graphs on the link you gave, here is my interpretation:

Ra is the internal effective Plate Resistance of the tube. This is usually shown for a triode used in a gain stage so you can calculate the actual in-circuit voltage gain. It is the slope of the Plate Characteristic Curve.

Ra-a is the primary impedance of the output transformer used for nominal Push-Pull operation.

Related to Questions about vacuum tube data sheets

1. What is a vacuum tube data sheet?

A vacuum tube data sheet is a document that provides technical information about a specific type of vacuum tube, including its electrical characteristics, physical dimensions, and usage instructions. It is often used by engineers and technicians to select and properly use vacuum tubes in electronic circuits.

2. How do I read a vacuum tube data sheet?

Reading a vacuum tube data sheet can be overwhelming at first, but it is important to understand the information it contains. The most important sections to pay attention to are the electrical characteristics, which list the tube's voltage, current, and capacitance ratings, and the pinout diagram, which shows the physical arrangement of the tube's pins. It's also helpful to refer to the manufacturer's datasheet guide for more detailed explanations.

3. Why is it important to use a vacuum tube data sheet?

Using a vacuum tube data sheet is crucial for selecting the right tube for a specific application. Each vacuum tube has unique characteristics, and using the wrong tube can result in circuit failure or damage. The data sheet also provides important information for proper biasing and operating conditions, which can affect the tube's lifespan and performance.

4. Can I use a vacuum tube data sheet for different tube brands?

While vacuum tube data sheets may look similar, they are specific to each tube brand and model. Different manufacturers may have slight variations in their tube designs, resulting in different electrical characteristics and pinouts. It's important to use the data sheet provided by the manufacturer of the specific tube you are using.

5. Where can I find vacuum tube data sheets?

Vacuum tube data sheets can be found on the websites of most vacuum tube manufacturers. They may also be available through online databases or forums dedicated to vacuum tube enthusiasts. Additionally, some vintage tube data sheets may be found in physical form through antique shops or online marketplaces.